The Sun (magazine)
Issue 348, December 2004
photograph by Kevin Bubriski
|Company||Sun Publishing Company|
|Based in||Chapel Hill, North Carolina|
The Sun is a monthly American magazine publishing essays, interviews, short stories, poems, and photography. The overall goal for the publication, as stated by editor and co-founder, Sy Safransky, is to create a feeling of connection between contributors and readers.
In 1974, Sy Safransky started the magazine with co-founder, Mike Mathers, who left after 18 months. The partners borrowed $50 and solicited writing by friends and family for the first issue. Safransky typed up the material, Mathers drew illustrations, and it was printed on a copy machine. The first issue was titled the Chapel Hill Sun and was sold for $0.25 each. The title was later changed to The Sun. Readership was about 1000 for roughly the first decade and has now increased to over 70,000. Safransky describes the magazine as one “that honors the mystery at the heart of existence.” In 1990, when readership reached roughly 10,000, Safransky dropped ads from the magazine and transformed it into a reader-supported publication. Safransky believes this "allowed for an uncommon atmosphere of intimacy in our pages."
- A Bell Ringing in the Empty Sky: The Best of the Sun, Volume I by Sy Safransky (1985)
- A Bell Ringing in the Empty Sky: The Best of the Sun, Volume II by Sy Safransky (1985)
- Four in the Morning: Essays by Sy Safransky (1993)
- Stubborn Light: The Best of the Sun, Volume III by Sy Safransky (2000)
- The Mysterious Life of the Heart: Writing from The Sun about Passion, Longing, and Love by Sy Safransky, Tim McKee, and Andrew Snee (2009)
- Paper Lanterns: More Quotations from the Back Pages of The Sun by Sy Safransky, Tim McKee and Andrew Snee (2011)
- Sunbeams: A Book of Quotations Revised Edition by Sy Safransky (2012)
- Matthews, S. "Every Word Tell: Sy Safransky, The Sun, and the Stars Who Revolve Around It". Stated Magazine.
- "1. Still Burning Bright: Sy Safransky Takes 'The Sun' Magazine into Its Fourth Decade" (PDF). The Village Rambler. Retrieved 11 October 2014.
- MacIver, Roderick, Art as a Way of Life, North Atlantic Books, Dec 15, 2009. Cf. pp.38-39.
- "Sy Safransky: Life in The Sun".
- Blevins, B. "Publisher Profile: Sy Safransky". Retrieved 11 October 2014.