Gordon Jackson (businessman)
|Sir Gordon Jackson
|Born||Ronald Gordon Jackson
5 May 1924
|Died||1 June 1991(aged 67)|
|Education||Brisbane Grammar School|
|Alma mater||University of Queensland|
He joined CSR Limited in 1941 and stayed with the organisation and its subsidiaries until 1985. During this time, he served as General Manager and Chief Executive (1972–82), Director (1972–83) and Deputy Chairman of CSR (1983–85). He was Chairman of Pilbara Iron (1972–75), Gove Alumina (1972–77) and Thiess Holdings (1980–82).
He was foundation chairman of the Board of Management of the Australian Graduate School of Management 1976–1981, Chancellor of the Australian National University from 1987–1990, and a member of the board of the Reserve Bank of Australia from 1975–1990.
Jackson served on the board of several organisations including the Foundation for Development Corporation, Australian Industry Development Corporation, and Sydney Hospital Foundation for Research, Police Board of New South Wales, Order of Australia Association and the Salvation Army. He was nominated as a member of the first Australian Government trade mission (headed by Sir Ian McLennan) to China in May 1973, chaired the Whitlam Government’s committee (the Jackson Committee, 1974–75) that advised the government on policies for Australia's manufacturing industry, and the Committee to Review Australia's Overseas Aid Program (1983–84).
Gordon Jackson was awarded numerous Australian and overseas awards and honours, including Companion of the Order of Australia (1976), The Australian newspaper’s Australian of the Year (1980), the Australian Institute of Management’s John Storey Medal (1978), James N Kirby Memorial Medal (1976), Commander’s Cross of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany (1980), Prime Minister of Japan’s Trade Award (1987), Grand Cordon (first class) Order of the Sacred Treasure of Japan (1987).
He was appointed Knight of the Order of Australia in 1983 for service to industry and to the community.
Sir Gordon died on 1 June 1991.
Director, Management and Chairman
Jackson served as Director, member of the Board of Management and Chairman of various companies and organisations:
- General Manager/Chief Executive (1972–1982), then Director of CSR Limited (1972–1983)
- Member of the Board of the Reserve Bank of Australia (1975–1990)
- President of the Order of Australia Association (1983–1986)
- Chancellor of the Australian National University (1987–1990)
Foreign orders and awards
- Commander's Cross of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany (1980)
- Grand Cordon of the Order of the Sacred Treasures of Japan (1987)
- Prime Minister of Japan's Trade Award (1987)
- Papers of Sir Gordon Jackson (1924–1991), National Archives of Australia, 5 December 2003.
- Reserve Bank Board Members Archived 14 May 2009 at the Wayback Machine., Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Previous National Presidents and Chairmen, Order of Australia Association.
- Timeline of Events – ANU Heritage, Australian National University.
- It's an Honour: AC
- It's an Honour: AK
|Chancellor of the Australian National University