Grace is a photograph by Eric Enstrom. It depicts an elderly man with hands folded, saying a prayer over a table with a simple meal. In 2002, an act of the Minnesota State Legislature established it as the state photograph.
History and background
The original photograph was taken at Enstrom's photography studio in Bovey, Minnesota. Most sources indicate 1918 as the year, though Enstrom's daughter Rhoda, born in 1917, claimed to remember being present when the photograph was taken, which might have been taken around 1920. The man in the photograph, Charles Wilden, was a Swedish immigrant living in nearby Grand Rapids, Minnesota, who earned a meager living as a peddler and lived in a sod house. While the photograph conveys a sense of piety, the book seen in the photo is actually a dictionary, not the Bible, and local stories about Wilden "centered more around drinking and not accomplishing very much."
What happened to Wilden after the photograph is unknown. In 1926 he was paid $5 by Enstrom in return for waiving his rights to the photograph; he disappeared thereafter. After the photograph became popular Enstrom attempted to track Wilden down but was unsuccessful. Numerous family members and local historians have also attempted to determine what became of Wilden but have not been able to locate definitive evidence.
Enstrom first licensed the photograph to Augsburg Fortress in 1930. In the 1940s, his daughter, Rhoda Nyberg, colorized the photo by hand. This version was featured in prints produced during the 1940s onward and became the more widespread and popularly known version of the photo.
In 2014 the stage play Picturing Grace premiered, which presents a dramatized retelling of the story behind the photograph, its photographer and subject. The play premiered in Itasca County, the same region in which the photograph was captured.
- "Grace, official state photograph". State of Minnesota. Retrieved Feb 25, 2014.
- Lee, Stephen J. (27 February 2012). "Man in famous 'Grace' photo mystifies historians". Grand Folks Herald.
- Walsh, Paul (27 February 2012). "Iron Range artist brought 'Grace' photo to fame". Minneapolis Star-Tribune.
- "'Picturing Grace' has successful opening, looks forward to future audiences". Grand Rapids Herald-Review. Retrieved 2016-01-28.
- GRACE by Enstrom – website for photograph