Granada Theater (The Dalles, Oregon)
The Granada Theater in 2008.
Location in The Dalles, Oregon
|Location||221 E. 2nd Street
The Dalles, Oregon
|Built by||M.R. Matthew|
|Architectural style||Moorish Revival|
|Part of||The Dalles Commercial Historic District (#86002953)|
|Added to NRHP||November 4, 1986|
A plaque bearing the seal of the State of Oregon on the side of the building reads, "Granada Theater: This Moorish-style motion picture theater was completed in 1930 for its first proprietor, M.R. Matthew, at a cost of $125,000. The plans were prepared by William Cutts of Portland, who designed approximately sixty theaters for the Universal Film Corporation. Planned at the height of the silent screen era, the theater nonetheless was equipped with Vitaphone and Movietone sound systems. The facade of the concrete building was detailed to imitate Moorish Architecture. Its stucco finish was accented with brick and tile, and its domed towers, arcaded parapet, and horseshoe-arched windows framed by twisted spiral columns were designed to create the exotic atmosphere of the Mediterranean."
- Dodds, Linda; Schneider, Ted; Donovan, Sally (August 1997), National Register of Historic Places Registration Form: The Dalles Commercial Historic District (1997 Update) (PDF), retrieved 2013-08-01.
- Oregon Parks and Recreation Department, Oregon Historic Sites Database, retrieved July 29, 2013.
- http://www.oregonbusiness.com/articles/90-september-2010/4000-the-dalles-buys-historic-theater accessed January 7, 2012
- "Historic theater in The Dalles gets new future". Oregon Business. September 2007. Retrieved January 26, 2012.
- Granada Theater (official website)