Grand Center, St. Louis
|St. Louis neighborhood|
The Fox Theatre is one of the largest theaters in Grand Center.
Location of Grand Center within St. Louis
|• Total||0.57 sq mi (1.5 km2)|
|• Density||6,200/sq mi (2,400/km2)|
|ZIP code(s)||Parts of 63106, 63108, 63113|
Grand Center is located in Midtown St. Louis Historic District on the National Register of Historic Places north of the Saint Louis University campus. Grand Center is member of the Global Cultural Districts Network.
Grand Center is site of numerous arts and entertainment venues in Midtown St. Louis including the Fox Theatre, Powell Symphony Hall (home of the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra), The Contemporary Art Museum Saint Louis, the Pulitzer Foundation for the Arts, and the Sheldon Concert Hall.
The neighborhood is an eclectic mix of restored historic structures and newer buildings with street art and neon signage centered on Strauss Park at the intersection of Grand Boulevard and Washington Ave. It includes a jazz club, Third Baptist Church The St Louis Black Repertory Theater Company, the Grand Center Arts Academy, and the headquarters of KETC Channel 9, a PBS affiliate. It is near the Grand MetroLink station.
In 2010 Grand Center's population was 56.3% Black, 35.0% White, 6.5% Asian, 1.4% Two or More Races, and 0.7% Some Other Race. 2.3% of the population was of Hispanic or Latino origin.
- "Grand Center Stars As Premier Entertainment District," St. Louis Front Page, 2006. (Online article providing recent description of Grand Center.)
- Census Summary By Neighborhoods
- Bartek, Elizabeth (18 October 2012). "The allure of the arts: New businesses thrive in Grand Center". St. Louis Beacon. Retrieved 10 November 2012.
- Grand Center, Inc.'s official website
- District info from St. Louis Front Page
- Third Baptist Church website
- The Pulitzer Foundation for the Arts website
- Contemporary Art Museum St. Louis website
- The Sheldon Concert Hall and Art Galleries website
- KETC, PBS, The NINE Network website
- Dance St. Louis website
- The Portfolio Art Gallery website
- Jazz St. Louis at the Bistro website
- International Photography Hall of Fame and Museum website
|This St. Louis, Missouri state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|