Greater Victoria Harbour Authority
The Greater Victoria Harbour Authority (GVHA) is a not-for-profit corporation operating in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. It was created in 2002 to own and operate several marine and upland properties in Victoria Harbour on their divestiture from the Government of Canada.
GVHA owns and operates the Ogden Point deep-sea terminal, which is visited by more than 200 cruise ships with totaling over 600,000 passengers ships each summer. The authority also operates Fisherman’s Wharf, several marinas, the Lower Causeway and Ship Point luxury yacht facility in Victoria’s Inner Harbour. In 2013, the GVHA took over operation of the Inner Harbour Airport as well.
The GVHA also operates a system of shuttle buses and occasionally marine launches to transport visitors around the Victoria coastal area.
The Authority serves several purposes. As well as efficient administration of divested former federal properties, it provides an opportunity for First Nations to have a say and to participate in the harbour economy.
The GVHA also promotes sustainable environmental practices on water and foreshore. In 2011, the authority joined Green Marine, an organization which promotes environmental awareness in the shipping industry.
The harbour authority was represents the interests of several municipalities, organizations and First Nations. Member agencies of the harbour authority board are:
- City of Victoria
- Township of Esquimalt
- Capital Regional District
- Esquimalt Nation
- Songhees Nation
- Tourism Victoria
- Provincial Capital Commission
- Greater Victoria Chamber of Commerce
- Victoria/Esquimalt Harbour Society
In 2012, the Authority released a study showing that the cruise industry adds $49 million directly to the Victoria port area economy, as well as creating over 300 jobs.
- "Official Report of Debates Of The Legislative Assembly". BC Legislative transcripts (Hansard). British Columbia Hansard Services. Retrieved 25 January 2013.
- Gondola system proposed for central Victoria. Vancouver Sun
- Coho ferry crash leaves Greater Victoria Harbour Authority juggling dock space - Victoria News
- Harbour Authority Rethinks Boot - Monday Magazine
- Greater Victoria Harbour Authority could land harbour airport - Victoria News
- "Greater Victoria Harbour Authority buys Hyack Air facilities in Inner Harbour". Victoria News
- Ogden Point marine shuttle designed to ease road woes - Sports - Times Colonist
- "Annual Report On Port Divestiture And Operations - 2004-2005". Government of Canada. Retrieved 25 January 2013.
- "Greater Victoria Harbour Authority joins Green Marine" | BC Shipping News
- Greater Victoria Harbour Authority all smiles as annual report released - Victoria News
- "GVHA - Society Act Constitution and Bylaws". Retrieved 25 January 2013.
- Victoria cruise industry generates nearly $100 million to regional economy: study - BC Local News
On Port Divestiture and Operations - 2004-2005.
- http://gvha.v3.ca/a_constitution.php - Greater Victoria Harbour Authority - Constitution.