Greetings & Readings
|Founded||Hunt Valley, Maryland, U.S.|
118-AA Shawan Rd,
Hunt Valley, MD
|Steven Baum, President|
Stephen Spund, Vice-President
Number of employees
Greetings & Readings of Hunt Valley is the largest independent bookstore in Baltimore and is a member of the American Booksellers Association. Currently operating in a single location, the store occupies 30,000 square feet (2,800 m2) of retail and warehouse space on the second floor of the main Hunt Valley Towne Centre plaza, which is the final northbound destination of the Baltimore Light Rail.
Phyllis and Norton Baum founded the original Greetings & Readings in 1969 as a book and card shop occupying 1,800 square feet (170 m2).
For 35 years, the store was located in Towson, Maryland, in the Loch Raven Plaza. After its closure, a new store was opened by Phyllis and Norton's son, Steven Baum; his wife Fran; his brother-in-law Stephen Spund and Spund's wife Amy. Greetings & Readings of Hunt Valley opened in August 2005 in the newly rebuilt Hunt Valley Towne Centre with a 30,000-square-foot (2,800 m2), second floor location along the plaza's Main Street.
The founder's son, Steven Baum, is president of the establishment. His brother-in-law Stephen Spund is vice-president. More than 90 workers are employed by Greetings & Readings in various departments which include gifts and jewelry, a Wi-Fi-enabled lounge, a Hallmark Gold Crown card section, a Vera Bradley boutique to make up what the store claims is the premier independent gift store in Baltimore, Maryland. Greetings & Readings offers gifts and fashion from popular brands including Brighton, Swarovski, Spartina, Alex and Ani, Simply Southern, Life is Good, and more. Baltimore and Maryland souvenirs as well as Baltimore Orioles and Baltimore Ravens fan gear make up another large in-store selection.
Greetings & Readings was named one of the coolest businesses in Baltimore by Expert Market US.
In January, 2010, wedding technology company WeddingWire, selected Greetings & Readings of Hunt Valley to receive the 2010 Bride’s Choice Awards™ for excellence in custom printing and personalized wedding invitation design. The invitation department was closed in 2018 to make room for expanding card and baby gift departments.
The store hosts frequent book signings and other events including kids' story time readings.
Greetings & Readings of Hunt Valley supports the efforts of the non-profit organization Literacy Works, Inc. which promotes increased literacy for adults in the Baltimore area. Greetings & Readings of Hunt Valley has also partnered with the HELPS (Health Educators Linking Parents and Students) Coalition and sponsored the Hunt Valley Kids Club which began in May 2007.
Beginning in 2013, Greetings & Readings of Hunt Valley began partnering with Baltimore's Enoch Pratt Free Library as the on-site bookseller for some of the library's public and private author events.
- Knight, Nancy. "Greetings & Readings". Baltimore Sun. Retrieved 2008-06-27.
- "ABA Bookseller Member Directory". American Booksellers Association. Retrieved 2010-01-01.
- Schwartz, Nomi. "Greetings & Readings: Books Plus an Array of Specialty Merchandise". American Booksellers Association. Retrieved 2007-10-31.
- Gleiche, Lindsey. "5 Reasons Why Baltimore Is The Coolest Place To Be From". Odyssey. Retrieved 2018-08-31.
- Horrocks, Michael. "Coolest Businesses in Baltimore". Expert Market US. Retrieved 2018-08-31.
- "Hunt Valley printing team named wedding industry leader". Greetings & Readings. Retrieved 2011-01-25.
- Serpick, Bev Fine. "Successful Book Bash helps boost literacy services". Community Times. Retrieved 2008-06-20.
- "Hunt Valley Towne Centre Announces Monthly "Kids Club Days," Beginning May 5". Hunt Valley Towne Centre. Retrieved 2007-04-26.
- "Writers LIVE! at the Central Library" (PDF). Enoch Pratt Free Library. Retrieved 2014-01-13.