Grierson is a surname of Scottish origin. The name is possibly a patronymic form of the personal name Greer, which may have reflected the Scots pronunciation of Gregor. The earliest known spellings are Grersoun and Greresoun. It was common practice in SW Scotland, particularly in the 16th and 17th centuries, for the name to be abbreviated to Grier, and there are many instances of the two forms being used in reference to the same man in the same document. This usage was further modified to Greer by a cadet branch of the Lag family who migrated to Ireland.
People surnamed Grierson
- Alister Grierson (b. 1969), Australian film director
- Benjamin Grierson (1826–1911), American Army General
- Cecilia Grierson (1859–1934), Argentine physician and activist
- Colin McKay Grierson (born 1906), Royal Air Force Air Commodore
- Constantia Grierson (1705–1732), Irish author
- David Grierson (1955–2004), Canadian CBC radio host.
- Derek Grierson, Scottish football player
- Don Grierson (geneticist), British geneticist
- Don Grierson (ice hockey) (b. 1947), Canadian professional hockey player
- Edmund Grierson (1860–1922), Canadian municipal politician.
- Edward Grierson (1914–1975), British barrister and writer.
- Francis Grierson (1848–1927), English born American author.
- George Grierson (1867–1931), Canadian politician
- George Grierson, Scottish-born printer in Dublin
- George Abraham Grierson (1851–1941), Irish orientalist, linguist and civil servant
- Herbert John Clifford Grierson (1866–1960), Scottish literary critic
- James Grierson (1859–1914), British Army Lieutenant General
- John Grierson (1898–1972), Scottish born Canadian film-maker
- John Grierson (pilot), (1909–1977), British pilot and author
- Mary Grierson (1912–2012), Welsh-born Scottish botanical artist and illustrator
- Philip Grierson (1910–2006), British historian and numismatist
- Robert Grierson (1657–1733), Scottish baronet, 1st Baronet of Lag, Nova Scotia Baronet
- Roger Grierson (b. 1957), New Zealand musician and executive
- Sir Ronald Grierson (1921–2014), British banker, businessman, government advisor, and British Army officer
- Sharon Grierson (b. 1951), Australian politician
- Sir William Grierson, 2nd Baronet (c. 1677–1760), Scottish Jacobite, MP for Dumfriesshire 1709–1711
- William Grierson (engineer) (1863–1935), British civil engineer on the Great Western Railway, president of the Institution of Civil Engineers 1929–30
People named Grierson
- Robert Grierson Combe, (1880 - 1917), Scottish born Canadian, Canadian Expeditionary Force Lieutenant awarded the Victoria Cross.
- Simpson Grierson, New Zealand law firm.
- Grierson Name Meaning and Origin Retrieved on 2007-11-26
- Bannatyne Club: Registrum Honoris de Morton, Vol. I, Original Papers, p. 204, no. 216
- Hamilton-Grierson, Sir Philip: The Lag Charters (1958), p. 9, no. 3
|surname Grierson. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.This page lists people with the|