Griffith Baley Price
G. Baley Price (14 March 1905, Brookhaven, Mississippi – 7 November 2006, Lawrence, Kansas) was an American mathematician and historian of American mathematics. He was a president of the Mathematical Association of America.
After graduating with an A.B. from Mississippi College in 1925, G. B. Price went to Harvard University, where he received his M.A. in 1928 and his Ph.D. in 1932 under G. D. Birkhoff with thesis Double Pendulum and Similar Dynamical Systems. Apart from a period of service with the U.S. Army Air Force in England in WWII, Price was a mathematics professor at the University of Kansas from 1937 to 1975 and chair of the mathematics department from 1951 to 1970. He was the co-author of two textbooks (published in 1966 and 1968) and the author of a history of the department of mathematics of the University of Kansas and several articles related to the role of mathematics and mathematicians in WWII. He was president of the Mathematical Association of America (MAA) for the two years 1957–1958 and received the MAA's distinguished service award in 1970.
- "On reversible dynamical systems". Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 37 (1): 51–79. 1935. doi:10.1090/s0002-9947-1935-1501778-0. MR 1501778.
- "Bounds for determinants with dominant principal diagonal". Proc. Am. Math. Soc. 2: 497–502. 1951. doi:10.1090/s0002-9939-1951-0041093-2. MR 0041093.
- History of the department of mathematics at the University of Kansas, 1866–1970. Lawrence, Kansas: K. U. Endowment Association, U. of Kansas. 1976; xii+788 p.
- Multivariable analysis. NY: Springer-Verlag. 1984. ISBN 0387909346; xiv+655 p.
- An introduction to multicomplex spaces and functions. NY: Marcel Dekker. 1991. ISBN 082478345X; xiii+402 p.