|Region||Region of Kaolack|
|• Type||City council|
|• Mayor||Souleymane Ndéné NDIAYE|
|Elevation||9 m (30 ft)|
|Time zone||GMT (UTC+0)|
Guinguinéo is a city in the center of Senegal, situated in 22 kilometers to the northeast of Kaolack. Its history is an indisputable fame, Before 1956, Guinguinéo crossed the phenomenon of kingdoms piloted by the succession of several kings whose most famous is Fodé DIOUF. Guinguinéo became a common in 1956 and then municipality of full exercise in 1960. The first mayor was Doctor Charles Ndiaye.
It is served by a station on the main line of Dakar-Niger Railway and is also the junction for the branchline to Lydiane. But the people mainly use the road for their displacement because of the degradation of train system. the only way, which joins Guinguineo to the rest of Senegal is the small road section Guinguineo-Back Samba Dior. In the city, displacements are done by horse-drawn and above all, by walking. The city is not well covered with roads, it considers only some small lines. Abseiling, Guinguinéo occupied for a long time a good place in the railroad in Senegal. It was the second capital of the rail after Thies. it is moreover why guinguineo delayed having an asphalted road binding it directly with the other cities of the country.
Guinguinéo has just been set up as Department by presidential decree recently in 2008; untied from the region of Fatick where it depended, it is since its erection in department a part of the region of Kaolack: so an old demand of the populations is henceforth satisfied. The department is managed by a recently installed Prefect, this one was the main organizer of the last local elections; new services become established such the Inspection of the youth and Sports, the departmental Inspection of the breeding, the departmental Inspection of the business, the departmental Inspection of the education etc....The municipality is managed by the Mayor Souleymane Ndéné NDIAYE, who became the Prime Minister of Senegal since 30 Mars 2009. The current Mayor competes for his second mandate. For its safety security, Guinguinéo has a gendarmerie brigade, police station (WB) which are little sought because problems are almost non-existent and the disagreements are generally solved by the leaders of districts and the inhabitants themselves. The city of Guinguinéo counts seven ( 07 ) public elementary schools, one (01) private catholic school, one (01) nursery school, one (01) accommodates Toddlers, one (01) high school of general education, one (01) middle school(college) of average education (C.E.M), one (01) French-Arabic school. In every district also exists a house where Koran is taught.
Personalities born in Guinguinéo
- Souleymane Ndéné Ndiaye, lawyer, mayor of the Municipality former Prime Minister of Senegal
- Amadou KATA NDIAYE Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of TV DELTANET
- Ababacar DIOP in charge of NTIC and special presidential Adviser, Director of SENECLIC.
- Ibrahima Souleymane NDIAYE, former Director Television of Senegal ( RTS)
- Abou NDIAYE Chief of Security technic BCEAO ( Central bank) Ziguinchor ( SAGAM )
- General of the Gendarmerie Mamadou Diouldé Diop
- Mady NDIAYE Professor at Cheikh Anta DIOP University of Dakar
- Papa Elimane FAYE Sociologist and Doctor in Tourism Science, Trainer at JICA (Japan)
- Boubacar Fall Program Manager, Human Resources, International Monetary Fund, Washington DC, USA