Guru (2012 film)
|Produced by||Parimala Jaggesh|
|Story by||Santha Kumar|
|Music by||Vinay Chandra|
|Edited by||K. M. Prakash|
Guru is a 2012 Indian Kannada-language action film directed by Jaggesh. The film starred his sons Gururaj and Yathiraj as male leads and Rashmi Gautham as the female lead. The film was Jaggesh's first film as a director. It is a remake of the Tamil-language film Mouna Guru.
- Gururaj as Guru
- Rashmi Gautham as Ankitha
- Yatiraj as Yathi
- Sudharani as Tejaswini
- Shobhraj as ACP Bopaiah
- Srinivasa Murthy
The film was actor Jaggesh's debut as a director and said that he took up the project on his son's insistence as a launchpad to the latter. The film was produced under the then-launched banner by Jaggesh, Gururaj Films.
The story for the film was chosen by Jaggesh from politician Karunanidhi's camp, receiving it from his son M. K. Tamailarasu. Jaggesh also wrote the script for the film. Speaking of the film, he said, "Guru will be a commercial film, but will not have a routine story. You will get the retro feel with this film. Such incidents would have occurred in everybody's life". To prepare for his role in the film, Gururaj underwent training in kickboxing and other martial arts for a period of five and a half months in Cambodia. The film was launched in Mantralayam in May 2012, before filming that began in June 2012.
|Soundtrack album by |
|Released||25 September 2012|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|1.||"Ankitha"||Ramnarayan||Karthik, Anuradha Bhat||4:16|
|2.||"Enu Papa Madide"||Kaviraj||Rajesh Krishnan||3:31|
Guru received positive to mixed response from critics upon its release. G. S. Kumar of The Times of India gave the film a rating of 3.5/5 and wrote of the direction, "Jaggesh's directorial debut has proved that he too can join the list of talented directors who have contributed some excellent movies to Sandalwood." He further wrote praising the "good script", "... [Gururaj's] matured performance with expression and dialogue delivery", and the musc and cinematography in the film. Srikanth Srinivasa of Rediff gave the movie 2.5/5, commenting that "Guru is worth a watch for the breezy narrative and some surprisingly well shot scenes and slick editing." However NewstrackIndia rated the film 2/5 and said that the film did not live up to the expectations, but is watchable once.
- "Guru review". The Times of India. 16 November 2012. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Kannada actor Jaggesh's love for his little Gururaj". dnaindia.com. 3 May 2012. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Jaggesh turns director for son". The New Indian Express. 2 June 2012. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Guru (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - EP". iTunes. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Review: Guru is entertaining". Rediff.com. 16 November 2012. Retrieved 18 November 2012.
- "'Guru' doesn't live up to expectations (Kannada Movie Review)". Newstrackindia.com. 8 November 2012. Retrieved 18 November 2012.