At the age of twelve he initiated his first lessons on trumpet and as an adolescent he began with Louis Armstrong as his leading idol in twenties-encouraged bands nominated for example, the Royal Garden Jazz Band and the Dixieland Smugglers.
Steadily he created his own mode all the way through jazz’s history, accumulating lasting feelings from, Dizzy Gillespie, Roy Eldridge and, in particular, Clifford Brown. Bergalli in his individual tender and pleasingly expressed performances it’s easy to recognize a melodious resonance of, Chet Baker or Miles Davis. Soon after Bergalli will be part of a primary expression of the new generation of jazz trumpeters in South America, traveling and recording significantly with the most compicuous bands and soloists in Latin America.
Gustavo Bergalli took part in groups such as Gato Barbieri’s band and he has also performed with Michel Legrand’s Orchestra, over and above being a starting partner of two of Latin America's leading jazz groups, Quinteplus and Buenos Aires Jazz Quartet.
Gustavo Bergalli moved abroad to Stockholm in 1975, Sweden, where he became one of the most considered and reputed musicians on trumpet in Scandinavia. During this time, he led his own quintet, played with the Swedish Radio Jazz Group and the Stockholm Jazz Orchestra, accompanying many famous visitors such as Bob Brookmeyer, Bob Mintzer, Jim McNeely, Joe Lovano, Phil Woods, Jimmy Heath, Maria Schneider and John Scofield.
Later on Bergalli made regular touring across Europe with a number of groups, among them, namely Klaus Ignatzek Quintet. His most prominent recordings, including four in the role of leader, and several others as featured soloist with, amongst, Paquito D'Rivera and Carlos Francetti.
In 1992 Gustavo Bergalli received a scholarship from Laila and Charles Gavatin's Foundation for Jazz Music and recently he moved to Buenos Aires to expend some years in his homeland.
- Crossworlds (CD, Album), Igloo 2001
- Hot Salsa (LP, Album), Montezuma Records 1976
- Solfeggietto (LP, Album), Mariann Grammofon AB 1978
- Hård Kärlek (LP) Leva Mig Ett Liv Polar Music International AB 1981
- Polyglot (LP, Album) Caprice Records 1983
- Himlen Runt Hörnet (LP, Album) Ändå Faller Regnet Diesel Music 1992
- The Complete Studio Recordings (9xCD, Album + 2xDVD-V + Box) Polar Music International AB 2005
- Quinteplus (CD) Vampi Soul 2007
- Sweet Surprise (LP, Album, RE) Celeste 2007 
- Jazz Unit featuring Maucha Adnet & Gustavo Bergalli, Pama Records (7331510103213)
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|