|Deputy Special Representative of the UN to Iraq|
December 9, 2011 – November 1, 2017
|Hungarian Ambassador to Iran|
October 2007 – July 2011
|Hungarian Ambassador to Indonesia|
October 2001 – July 2006
|Civilian Head of Mission, Hungarian Provincial Reconstruction Team|
September 2006 – 2007
|Born||April 13, 1955|
|Alma mater||Eötvös Loránd University University of Damascus|
Gyorgy Busztin or George Busztin (Busztin György in Hungarian) is a career diplomat who was appointed Deputy Special Representative (ASG) of the United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq by Secretary-General of the United Nations, Ban Ki-Moon. He previously served the Hungarian Ministry of Foreign Affairs in various capacities throughout Africa, Asia and the Middle East, as Ambassador on two occasions. In 2011, he served as the European Union President in Iran. The former Ambassador is fluent in six languages in addition to his native Hungarian.
Early life and education
Born in 1955 in Budapest, Hungary, Gyorgy Busztin holds a degree in Arabic History from Damascus University, Syria and a Doctorate in Arabic language and Semitic philology from Loránd Eötvös University in Hungary. In addition to his native language, he speaks English, French, Arabic, Farsi/Dari (Persian), Malay (Indonesian), and Russian. He first spent time in Indonesia as a grade school student and would later return to the island country as Hungary's Ambassador between 2001 and 2006.
Gyorgy Busztin has served the Hungarian Ministry of Foreign Affairs in various capacities for over three decades. He worked as a counselor in the Department of the Middle East and Africa between 1980 and 1986 prior to being appointed First Secretary at the Hungarian Embassy in Egypt between 1986 and 1991. He was later nominated Chargé d'Affaires in Libya between 1994 and 1998. He was appointed Hungary's Ambassador to Indonesia between 2001 and 2005 and subsequently to Iran between 2007 and 2011. His tenure in Iran coincided with Hungary's Presidency of the Council of the European Union. In 2006, he was the Civilian Head of Mission for the Hungarian Provincial Reconstruction Team, at the time operating in Pol-i-Khumri, as part of Hungary's efforts to help stabilize conditions in Afghanistan. In a press release in December 2011, it was reported that United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon had appointed the Ambassador to succeed Jerzy Skuratowicz as the Deputy Special Representative for Iraq. At the level of Assistant Secretary-General, he heads the political, analytical, electoral and constitutional support component of the United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq. His condemnation of violence throughout the nation has frequently been the subject of, or reported by international news. In addition to his native Hungarian, he speaks English, French, Arabic, Farsi/Dari (Persian), Malay (Indonesian), and Russian. As "acting head" of UNAMI, he has been quoted on matters ranging from Iranian dissidents in Iraq to violent extremism occurring in the onset of political turmoil.
The diplomat is also author to The Legacy of the Barang People: The Puzzling Similarities of the Hungarian and Malay languages. The research shows close ties between the two languages and "postulates that the roots of Malay extend much deeper in time than previously thought."
- "UNAMI Leadership". United Nations Iraq.
- "Int'l Kick Off Conference for the EU-funded Project on Fight Against Trafficking from and to Afghanistan Jan 2011 Tehran".
- "Hungarian diplomat appointed UN envoy for Iraq".
- Busztin, György (28 June 2006). "The Legacy of the Barang People: An exploration into the puzzling similarities of the Hungarian and Malay languages". Equinox Publishing – via Amazon.
- "Gyerek utazás,gyermekutazás,gyerekutaztatás,gyermek utaztatás,szállások,szállodák,ifjúsági,bababarát".
- "Untitled Document".
- "Secretary-General Appoints György Busztin of Hungary as Deputy Special Representative for Iraq - Meetings Coverage and Press Releases".
- "Magyar Külpolitikai Évkönyv, 2005 - Könyvtár - Hungaricana".
- "Magyar Külpolitikai Évkönyv, 2006 - Könyvtár - Hungaricana".
- "Iran keen to enhance ties with Hungary: Salehi". 9 July 2011.
- "Iraq conflict: Amerli in 'urgent need of help' - UN - BBC News".
- "Ban Appoints Hungarian Diplomat as Deputy UN Envoy for Iraq - Scoop News".
- CNN, Brian Walker, Ben Brumfield and Greg Botelho. "Truck bomb at Baghdad market kills dozens".
- AFP. "UN warns Iraq political crisis threat to fight against IS".
- (www.dw.com), Deutsche Welle. "Fatal unrest at Iranian dissident camp in Iraq - News - DW.COM - 01.09.2013".
- Busztin, Dr György (19 November 2009). "The Legacy of the Barang People: An Exploration into the Puzzling Similarities of the Hungarian and Indonesian Languages". Equinox Publishing – via Amazon.