Forintos at Bad Liebenzell, 1996
|Full name||Gyozo Victor Forintos|
July 30, 1935 |
|FIDE rating||2318 (March 2010)|
|Peak rating||2495 (January 1972)|
He first participated in the Hungarian Championship as early as 1954 and became the national champion in 1968/9.
In tournaments he was 1st at Reggio Emilia 1962/3, 2nd at Wijk aan Zee-B 1970 (after Andersson), 1st at Baja (Asztalos Memorial) 1971, 3rd at Caorle 1972, 2nd at Vrnjačka Banja 1973, 2nd at Reykjavík 1974 (after Smyslov, but ahead of Bronstein), 2nd at Novi Sad 1974, 2nd= at Lone Pine 1976 (after Petrosian), 2nd at Sarajevo 1978, and 1st= at the Perpignan Open 1987.
He played for Hungary in six Chess Olympiads (1958, 1964, 1966, 1970, 1972, and 1974). In 1958, he took an individual gold medal for his impressive 80% score and has also won silver and bronze team medals.
As a writer on chess, he has produced two notable books on the opening in the English language, both co-authored by Ervin Haag: Petroff Defence, MacMillan Chess Library, 1992 and Easy Guide to the 5.Nge2 King's Indian, Everyman, 2000. The latter describes a fairly offbeat method of playing white against the King's Indian. Sometimes referred to as the 'Hungarian Attack', it is a system that Forintos has himself developed and become a leading expert on.
Forintos was awarded the International Master title in 1963 and the Grandmaster title in 1974. His daughter Gyöngyvér, also a chess player, was married to the Anglo-French grandmaster, Anthony Kosten.
- Gyozo V Forintos vs Vasily Tomovic, Belgrade 1957, Formation: King's Indian Attack (A07), 1-0
- Gyozo V Forintos vs Vasily Smyslov, Sochi 1974, Nimzo-Indian Defense: Classical, Berlin Variation Pirc Variation (E39), 1-0
- Hartston, William R. (1977), "Forintos, Győző", in Golombek, Harry, Golombek's Encyclopedia of Chess, Crown Publishing, p. 120, ISBN 0-517-53146-1
- Hooper, David and Whyld, Kenneth (1984), The Oxford Companion to Chess, Oxford University, ISBN 0-19-217540-8
- Sunnucks, Anne (1970), The Encyclopaedia of Chess, St. Martin's Press, p. 140, LCCN 78106371
- Olimpbase - Olympiads and other Team event information