||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (June 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|The Höllentalanger Hut|
|Elevation||1,381 m (4,531 ft) above sea level|
|Built in||1894, extended 1925|
|Hut type||DAV Hut Category I|
|Owner||Munich Section of the DAV|
|Opening times||end May to mid-October|
The Höllentalanger Hut (1,381 m) is a managed hut owned by the German Alpine Club in the Wetterstein Mountains of Bavaria, in the district of Garmisch-Partenkirchen. The hut lies in a narrow defile between the Höllental-Blassen and Waxenstein-Riffelwand crest and is open from the end of May to mid-October. It has more than 80 bedspaces.
The category 1 hut was built in 1894 and has had its present appearance since 1925 when it was extended. Since 2004 a completely new hut has been in planning. The cost of construction has been assessed by the German Alpine Club at € 2.3M. The new hut is intended to take the extreme avalanche situation in the Höllental into account. In addition it is intended to expand its overnight capacity. The winter room was closed by the authorities in 2004 or 2005 due to the avalanche danger in winter.
As part of the complete demolition the blockhouse, which is the original core of the hut, will be moved to the garden of the Alpine Museum in Munich.
- From Hammersbach and Obergrainau through the Höllental valley and the Höllental Gorge (ca. 2 hrs) or along the Stangensteig trail (2½ hrs).
- From the Kreuzeckhaus over the Hupfleitenjoch saddle and the Knappenhäuser (2½ hrs, sure-footedness required).
- From the Osterfelderkopf (top station of the Alpspitzbahn) over the Rinderscharte col (ca 4.5 hours) or over the Hupfleitenjoch saddle and Knappenhäuser (ca. 4 hours), for both routes sure-footedness is required).
- to the Zugspitze ( ) over the Höllentalferner (glacier crossing) in 5 hours,
- to the Alpspitze ( ) over the Matthaisenkar and the Grieskarscharte in 4 hours,
For both tours klettersteig experience is needed.
- to the Großer Waxenstein ( ) in 2 – 3 hours.
- over the Riffelscharte ( ) to the Eibsee ( ) in 4 hours.
- Stefan Beulke: AVF Wetterstein, Bergverlag Rother, Ottobrunn, ISBN 978-3-7633-1119-4
- Helmut Pfanzelt: GF Wetterstein und Mieminger Kette, Bergverlag Rother, Ottobrunn, ISBN 978-3-7633-3129-1
- Munich section of the DAV (German)