HM Glendairy Prison
Glendairy Prison, also called Her Majesty's Prison, was the correctional facility located in the country of Barbados. The prison, which housed up to 1,000 male and female inmates, was located in Station Hill, St. Michael.
The prison was built in 1855 before being destroyed in a prison uprising on 29–30 March 2005. The replacement for Glendairy, known as HMP Dodds was opened on 15 October 2007 at Dodds, St. Philip.
A Commission of Inquiry has been set up to aid in an investigation of events which led to the riot and resulting fire.
Proposed alternate uses for the property have included: a rehabilitation centre for ex-offenders, halfway housing for persons addicted to drugs, or housing of individuals with a known mental illness.
Controversies involving the prison
- Conprison art
Prison art barbados
In popular culture
Scenes of Glendairy Prison were featured in season six of the television show Locked Up Abroad. Documentaries and books have also been written by British prisoners at the new prison including Will Mellor and Terence Donaldson, who wrote Hell in Barbados.
- Carrington, Sean; Fraser, Henry (2003). "Glendairy Prison". A~Z of Barbados Heritage. Macmillan Caribbean,. p. 87. ISBN 0-333-92068-6.
- Staff writer (22 October 2009). "Fewer inmates at Dodds". Caribbean Broadcasting Corporation (CBC). 5145197. Archived from the original on 2016-03-03. Retrieved 8 January 2010.
- Royal Barbados Police Force (RBPF)
- Bennett, Dawne (28 June 2006). "Barbados prisoners to go on trial for burning prison". Caribbean Net News. Archived from the original on March 29, 2010. Retrieved 8 January 2010.
- Protesting inmates wreak havoc, Foreign Prisoner Support Service
- Glendairy Fire Commission Archived 2011-10-03 at the Wayback Machine., Government of Barbados, 22 March 2007
- M., T. (1 November 2009). "(Mr.) Nurse ready". Nation Newspaper. Retrieved 8 January 2010.[dead link][dead link]
- R., P. (19 July 2009). "Barbados on National Geographic". Nation Newspaper. Archived from the original on July 24, 2009. Retrieved 8 January 2010.
- Slinger, Tim (19 June 2009). "(Mr.) Nurse ready". Nation Newspaper. Archived from the original on June 24, 2009. Retrieved 8 January 2010.
- New jail takes shape - NationNews Barbados (August 16, 2006)
- Glendairy 'the best' - NationNews Barbados (March 26, 2006)
- Police and soldiers in Barbados get greater powers - Caribbean Net News (April 7, 2005)
- One death and several injured in continuing prison riot in Barbados - Caribbean Net News (April 1, 2005)
- St Vincent and St Lucia respond to Barbados’ RSS appeal - Caribbean Net News (April 1, 2005)
- Antigua-Barbuda sends military contingent to Barbados - Caribbean Net News (April 1, 2005)
- Thirteen hospitalized after Barbados jail fire - Caribbean Net News (March 30, 2005)
|This Barbados-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|