Hamlin Robinson School
This article's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (July 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Hamlin Robinson School|
|1701 20th Ave S
Seattle, Washington 98144
|Number of students||240|
|Accreditation||Northwest Association of Independent Schools, Northwest Association of Accredited Schools|
The Hamlin Robinson School is an independent school in Seattle offering a specialized program specifically for students with dyslexia and related language difficulties. The school was founded in 1983.
For over 30 years, the Hamlin Robinson School has been the only non-profit school in Washington that specializes in a program specifically for children with dyslexia and other language-related learning issues. In 1991 HRS was accredited by the Pacific Northwest Association of Independent Schools.
The school was founded in 1983 by the Slingerland Institute for Literacy and the Robinson family, in memory of Hamlin Robinson, the first board chair of the Slingerland Institute for Literacy. The school has been operating independently since the fall of 1986.
The school has grown from its first class of eleven children to a student body of over 200 in first through eighth grade. Nearly 1,000 students have attended Hamlin Robinson since its doors opened in 1983.
On May 5, 2010, the Seattle School Board approved the lease of the T.T. Minor building to the Hamlin Robinson School.
On October 8, 2012, HRS announced that it would be moving to a permanent location and on September 23, 2013, it was announced that the site would be in the North Beacon Hill neighborhood.
The School moved to its permanent home on June 15, 2015. This new building is specifically designed for HRS's unique program.
Facts and Figures
- Head of School: Joan Beauregard
- Faculty: 18 classroom teachers; 5 resident teachers, full-time art, music, and PE teachers; Librarian; Technology Specialist; 2 Academic Aides; Counselor; Speech & Language Pathologist
- Student Enrollment: 240 students in grades 1 through 8
- Average Class Size: 13
- Extra-curricular Activities: After-school clubs rotate each trimester; offerings include cross-country, ultimate frisbee, video production, tae kwon do, guitar, stop action video, yogalates, and digital photography
- Accreditation: Hamlin Robinson School is approved by the State of Washington as an independent, not-for-profit, coeducational day school for primary through high school aged students. HRS is accredited by the Northwest Association of Independent Schools, the National Association of Independent Schools, and the Northwest Accreditation Commission.
- Tuition and Fees 2016-17: $20,670 (grades 1-5), $22,560 (grades 6-8)
- Financial Aid: Approximately 20% of families receive financial assistance from HRS.