Handia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
हंडिया
हंडिया is located in Uttar Pradesh
हंडिया
हंडिया
Location in Uttar Pradesh, India
Coordinates: 25°23′N 82°11′E / 25.38°N 82.18°E / 25.38; 82.18Coordinates: 25°23′N 82°11′E / 25.38°N 82.18°E / 25.38; 82.18
Country  India
State Uttar Pradesh
District Allahabad
Elevation 92 m (302 ft)
Population (2001)
 • Total 12,681
Languages Awadhi A local version of Hindi,Shri Ramcharit Manas was written by Tulasidas in Awadhi.
 • Official Hindi
Time zone IST (UTC+5:30)
PIN [1]
Telephone code 05414
Vehicle registration UP 60
Sex ratio 871 /

Handia is a town and a nagar panchayat in Allahabad district in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh. Handia was named after Hidimba (An mythological character of Mahabharat) since she belonged to same place.

Geography[edit]

Handia is located at 25°23′N 82°11′E / 25.38°N 82.18°E / 25.38; 82.18.[1] It has an average elevation of 92 metres (301 feet). It is the Tehsil comes on the way of NH-2 also popularly known as G.T. Road (Grand Trunk Road) National Highways of India Ganga or Ganges is the only main river in this area.

Demographics[edit]

As of 2001 India census,[2] Handia had a population of 12681. Males constitute 52% of the population and females 48%. Handia has an average literacy rate of 52%, lower than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 63%, and female literacy is 39%. In Handia, 20.5% of the population is under 6 years of age. Out of these populations, 98% live in rural areas and rest of them reside in urban areas. They all are inhabited in 2245 number of households.

221503 [3] [4] Handia has one of the oldest polytechnics of the country; it was inaugurated by the first prime minister Jawahar Lal Nehru in 1956 to further rural development. Handia constituency has around 60,000 Brahmins, 70,000 Binds coming under backward classes, 90,000 Muslims, 40,000 Rajputs and 50,000 Yadavs.As per census 2011 around 2,03,609 scheduled cast and 352 Scheduled tribs.[5]

Educational Institutes[edit]

National Inter College is most renowned educational institute in the region and was established in 1946.This college was inaugurated by Lal Bahadur Shastri (Second prime minister of India). Handia polytechnic and HMFA are technical institutes in the region. An ayurvedic mediacal college named after Lal Bahadur Shastri. PG College Handia. Maharshi inter college, and postgraduate college [6] is very good destination for those who are seeking for higher education.

Tourist Places[edit]

Lakshagraha (लाक्षाग्रिहा), Nimahra ( निमहरादेवी ) (In Saidabad) and Baraut are main tourist spots of Handia.Lakshagrih and Ranka are main ghats of Handia. Judaipur,Saidabad, Amora and Kallahawa are some of the local markets.

Election Synopsis[edit]

Handia is one of the constituencies for assembly election of Allahabad district in state of Uttar Pradesh. As per the details published on 02 Jan 2012, by Chief Electoral Officer of Uttar Pradesh there are 315994 voters registered in Handia assembly, out of these around 56% are Male voters while remaining 44% comprise female voters.[7]

History[edit]

In Mahabharat Lakshagraha is described. It is said that Duryodhana wants to kill Pandavas during their Agyatwas, So he ordered to construct a home for Pandvas made of Lahk(A highly inflammable material). This Lakshagrih is situated at the bank of river Ganga in Handia. This place is known as Lakshgrih. Hidimba, The very first of Bheema was from Handia. Some of Kapisa's (An warrior clan) are currently living in locality of Kapisan . It is believed that Kapisas were migrated from ancient Afganistan before 1500 years. A major portion of this clan is living in East Uttar Pradesh.

References[edit]