Hands Off the People of Iran
|Focus||Anti-war, Peace, Secularism, Anti-clericalism, Anti-imperialism, Anti-capitalism, Social equality|
|Yassamine Mather (Chair)|
Mark Fischer (Secretary)
Hands Off the People of Iran (HOPI) is a political organisation in the United Kingdom founded in 2007, closely associated with the Communist Party of Great Britain (Provisional Central Committee). It is opposed to Western military intervention in Iran, as well as to the sitting Iranian government, and supports "internal" regime change. The three most prominent figures are Mike Macnair, the Israeli Moshé Machover and Yassamine Mather, an Iranian associated with the Workers Left Unity – Iran. It was denied affiliation with the Stop the War Coalition due to questions raised over its support for regime change.
The initiative for Hands Off the People of Iran came from a number of Iranian exile organisations in 2005. On March 16, 2006, Workers Left Unity - Iran wrote an open letter to the British anti-war movement, calling for genuine solidarity with the Iranian people. By 2007 HOPI was fully established, consisting predominantly of Iranian exiles who campaign for regime change in Iran but are against external military intervention, believing military occupation to be the worst condition under which liberation can be achieved. HOPI's founding conference was held in December 2007.
At the Founding Conference, a National Steering Committee was established consisting of seventeen members from a range of different political organisations and political traditions. These include members of the Green Party of England and Wales, Labour Representation Committee, Jewish Socialist Group, Permanent Revolution, Centre for the Study of Socialist Theory and Movements at the University of Glasgow, Communist Party of Great Britain (Provisional Central Committee), Workers Left Unity - Iran, Revolutionary Workers of Iran, Anarchist Federation (pc) and Women’s Campaign Against All Misogynist Laws in Iran.
Expulsion from Stop the War Coalition
Affiliates and Supporters
- Opposition to military action against Iran
- Campaign Against Sanctions and Military Intervention in Iran
- List of anti-war organizations
- "Who we are". Archived from the original on 2008-11-07. Retrieved 2008-11-16.
- "Open letter to the anti war movement". Archived from the original on 2009-01-07. Retrieved 2008-11-16.
- MAC CORMAIC, RUADHÁN (18 June 2009). "Iranians set for protest in Dublin". Irish Times. Retrieved 2009-07-07.
- "Dublin march for political change in Iran". Ireland Online. 27 June 2009. Retrieved 2009-07-07.
- "Hundreds attend Iran support rally". Sunday Tribune. 28 June 2009. Retrieved 2009-07-07.[permanent dead link]
- Taylor, Jerome (8 November 2007). "Anti-war activists do battle over intervention in Iran". The Independent. Retrieved 2009-07-07.
- "Affiliations". Public and Commercial Services Union. 2008. Archived from the original on 2010-11-27. Retrieved 2009-07-07.
- Tatchell, Peter (26 October 2007). "Iran's anti-Arab racism". The Guardian. Retrieved 2009-07-07.
- Hopi's website featuring news on the campaign
- "Talking with Tatchell". 18 Doughty Street. 21 September 2007. Retrieved 2009-07-07.
- FitzGerald, Michael (18 June 2009). "Hands off the People of Iran (Hopoi) calls for support for the Iranian people". NEAR 90FM podcast. Retrieved 2009-07-07.
- HOPI's YouTube channel