Johanna M. Jansen, Ph.D.
|Alma mater||Rijksuniversiteit Groningen, Uppsala University|
Johanna Maria "Hanneke" Jansen is a computational chemistry leader working at Novartis on multiple drug targets. She previously worked at Astra and at Chiron Corporation.
Jansen received her doctoral degree from the University of Groningen (The Netherlands) in 1995, studying computational medicinal chemistry. Her dissertation topic concerned 3D modeling of the melatonin receptor, including work on synthesizing and separating analytes to probe its chemistry. She completed a postdoctoral fellowship at Uppsala University in 1997. Her work there related to modeling receptor interactions of drug leads to judge their serotonergic or dopaminergic activities.
Much of Jansen's oeuvre uses in silico methods to study receptor biology, drug design, and drug-protein interactions. An early study (2000) while she was employed at Chiron looked at conformations of the anti-cancer treatment Taxol in nonpolar environments.
In a 2012 commentary for Future Medicinal Chemistry, Jansen led a team of distinguished computational chemists in a call to action, namely that standardized data sets be used across the industry, and that sharing program code between groups at different companies and institutions should be mandated.
Jansen has served the ACS division on Computers in Chemistry since at least 2007, holding multiple leadership positions. Outside of pharmaceutical work, she is perhaps best known as a co-Founder and Steering Committee member for the Teach-Discover-Treat initiative, which creates challenges for students and young professionals to design drugs against neglected diseases such as malaria or Trypanosoma using computational chemistry shared data sets and screens.
- 2012 - ACS ChemLuminary Award
- 2011 - Fellow of the American Chemical Society
- "Johanna (Hanneke) Jansen, Ph.D. | Novartis". Novartis. Retrieved 2018-12-01.
- "Three dimensions in drug design". www.bibliotheek.nl (in Dutch). Retrieved 2018-12-01.
- Jansen, Johanna M.; Copinga, Swier; Gruppen, Gert; Isaksson, Roland; Witte, Dirk T.; Grol, Cor J. (1994). "Semipreparative enantiomeric separation of a series of putative melatonin receptor agents using tri-acetylcellulose as chiral stationary phase". Chirality. 6 (7): 596–604. doi:10.1002/chir.530060714. ISSN 0899-0042. PMID 7986673.
- Witte, Dirk T.; Bruggeman, Frank J.; Franke, Jan Piet; Copinga, Swier; Jansen, Johanna M.; De Zeeuw, Rokus A. (1993). "Comparison between cellulose and amylose tris(3,5-dimethylphenylcarbamate) chiral stationary phases for enantiomeric separation of 17 amidotetralins". Chirality. 5 (7): 545–553. doi:10.1002/chir.530050711. ISSN 0899-0042.
- Hedberg, Martin H.; Linnanen, Tero; Jansen, Johanna M.; Nordvall, Gunnar; Hjorth, Stephan; Unelius, Lena; Johansson, Anette M. (January 1996). "11-Substituted (R)-Aporphines: Synthesis, Pharmacology, and Modeling of D2Aand 5-HT1AReceptor Interactions". Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 39 (18): 3503–3513. doi:10.1021/jm960189i. ISSN 0022-2623. PMID 8784448.
- Snyder, James P.; Nevins, Neysa; Cicero, Daniel O.; Jansen, Johanna (February 2000). "The Conformations of Taxol in Chloroform". Journal of the American Chemical Society. 122 (4): 724–725. doi:10.1021/ja9930115. hdl:2108/87943. ISSN 0002-7863.
- Jansen, Johanna M; Amaro, Rommie E; Cornell, Wendy; Tseng, Y Jane; Walters, W Patrick (October 2012). "Computational chemistry and drug discovery: a call to action". Future Medicinal Chemistry. 4 (15): 1893–1896. doi:10.4155/fmc.12.137. ISSN 1756-8919. PMID 23088271.
- Jansen, Johanna M.; Wartchow, Charles; Jahnke, Wolfgang; Fong, Susan; Tsang, Tiffany; Pfister, Keith; Zavorotinskaya, Tatiana; Bussiere, Dirksen; Cheng, Jan Marie (2017-04-06). "Inhibition of prenylated KRAS in a lipid environment". PLOS ONE. 12 (4): e0174706. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0174706. ISSN 1932-6203. PMC 5383040. PMID 28384226.
- Solutions, Allen Richon, Molecular. "2007 Officers for COMP". oldwww.acscomp.org. Retrieved 2018-12-01.
- "Officers in Past Years - ACS COMP Division". www.acscomp.org. Retrieved 2018-12-01.
- "Teach-Discover-Treat". www.teach-discover-treat.org. Retrieved 2018-12-01.
- "2011 ACS Fellows - American Chemical Society". American Chemical Society. Retrieved 2018-12-01.
- "Awards - ACS COMP Division". web2011.acscomp.org. Retrieved 2018-12-01.