As an artist he is known for his aesthetic eye.
Väisänen has written a series of partially autobiographical novels, describing the young boy Antero growing up in a garrison area in a small town in Northern Finland, leaving his home, gradually opening himself up to the world, and becoming an artist.
Vaisanen received the Finlandia Prize for literature in 2007 for the second novel in the series, Other Shoes. He also won the State Prize for Visual arts in 2008 and the State Price for literature in 2015.
- "Interview with Hannu Väisänen | Books from Finland". booksfromfinland.fi. Retrieved 2016-10-10.
- "Hannu Väisänen | youkobo artspace". youkobo.co.jp. Retrieved 2016-10-10.
- "Hannu Väisänen – Otava Group Agency". oga.otava.fi. Retrieved 2016-10-10.
- "Väisänen, Hannu (1951–) | Biografiakeskus, Suomalaisen Kirjallisuuden Seura". kansallisbiografia.fi. Retrieved 2016-10-10.
- Works in National Gallery