Harmony Express Men's Chorus
Harmony Express at their annual show, 2015
|Origin||Germantown, Maryland United States|
|Genres||A cappella, Choral, Barbershop|
|Members||Music Director: Frank Kirschner|
Harmony Express is a 4-part a cappella chorus for both women and men based in Germantown, Maryland. The non-profit chorus is under the direction of Frank Kirschner as of 2017. It is the performing arm of the Germantown Chapter of the Barbershop Harmony Society. The chorus was featured in the documentary Barbershop Singing Old and New.
On July 1, 2008, Mike Edison filed the Maryland Articles of Incorporation as president of the newly formed music group. That same year the Germantown, Maryland Chapter of the Barbershop Harmony Society was chartered by Edison and sponsored by the Montgomery County, MD Chapter (the Hometowne USA Chorus).
Harmony Express claimed their first Barbershop Harmony Society award in 2010 by becoming the AA plateau champion in their division. In 2011, they moved up to the AAA plateau and became the second place champion in the division. That same year they were also awarded "Most Improved Chorus" in the Southern Division.
Harmony Express has performed at the F. Scott Fitzgerald Theatre, Montgomery County Agricultural Fair, Kentlands' Oktoberfest, Glenview Mansion, Celebrate Gaithersburg, Lakeforest Mall, Rio/Washingtonian Center, St. Rose of Lima Fiesta, and Leisure World. They have also been invited to host an a cappella showcase by the City of Gaithersburg. The chorus competes regularly, puts on an annual show, and serenades lovers on Valentine’s Day.
Chapter quartets include The Glen Echoes and Handsome Reward. The Glen Echoes has performed The Star Spangled Banner eight times at Camden Yards for the Baltimore Orioles, including a July 2007 performance before a crowd of 40,000 people and a nationwide TV audience.
Awards and recognition
- Invited three times to compete in the District contest (2010, 2011, 2012)
- 2010 Southern Division Plateau AA Champion
- 2011 Southern Division Most Improved Chorus
- 2011 Second Place Champion (Southern Division)
- A cappella music
- Choral music of Washington, D.C.
- List of Maryland music groups
- Barbershop music
- Barbershop Harmony Society
- "Chapter: Germantown, MD J-127". Mid-Atlantic District of the Barbershop Harmony Society. Retrieved 30 June 2015.
- Merewitz, M (3 March 2014). "Barbershop Singing Old and New". YouTube. Retrieved 30 June 2015.
- "Germantown barbershop chorus hits a high note in competition". The Gazette. 23 June 2011. Retrieved 11 July 2015.
- "Cultural Concerts to be Presented at F. Scott Fitzgerald Theatre". WUSA Channel 9. 17 Oct 2011. Retrieved 11 July 2015.
- "Fairground Fun". The Gazette. 10 Aug 2011. Retrieved 11 July 2015.
- "A Cappella Stage". City of Gaithersburg, Maryland. Retrieved 11 July 2015.
- "Recreation Guide". City of Rockville, Maryland. p. 3. Retrieved 11 July 2015.
- "Leisure World News" (PDF). Leisure World of Maryland. 6 Aug 2013. Retrieved 11 July 2015.
- "Experience "It's a Grand Night for Singing" A Cappella Showcase at Concert Pavilion". City of Gaithersburg, Maryland. 5 June 2015. Retrieved 30 June 2015.
- "A CAPPELLA/BARBERSHOP SHOW (MEN'S CHORUS) – EVENING". Conference and Visitors Bureau of Montgomery County, MD. Retrieved 11 July 2015.
- "Harmony Express Featured on Episode 63". Montgomery Community Media. 2013. Retrieved 30 June 2015.
- "Glen Echoes National Anthem". YouTube. Oriole Park at Camden Yards. 28 June 2009. Retrieved 30 June 2015.
- "Star Spangled Banner/God Bless America". YouTube. Oriole Park at Camden Yards. 19 September 2010. Retrieved 30 June 2015.
- "2010 Official Scoring Summary, Southern Division" (PDF). Mid-Atlantic District of the Barbershop Harmony Society. Retrieved 30 June 2015.
- "2011 Official Scoring Summary, Southern Division" (PDF). Mid-Atlantic District of the Barbershop Harmony Society. Retrieved 30 June 2015.