The first issue of The Hawkesbury Herald was published on 24 April 1902 by William Henry Pinkstone and Frederick William Collison. Pinkstone and Collison published the newspaper until 1940. The newspaper continued to be published after 1940 until 1945 when it was merged into the Windsor and Richmond Gazette. The Windsor and Richmond Gazette is now published as the Hawkesbury Gazette. The newspaper was circulated in townships along the Hawkesbury River including Windsor, Richmond, Castlereagh and Marsden Park.
- "Hawkesbury Herald (Windsor, NSW : 1902 - 1945)". Retrieved 27 November 2012.
- "Windsor and Richmond Gazette (NSW : 1888 - 1954)". Retrieved 27 November 2012.
- "Hawkesbury City Council Library Service Local Studies Fact Sheet 9: Newspapers" (PDF). Retrieved 27 November 2012.
- Hawkesbury Gazette
- Hawkesbury Herald (Windsor, NSW : 1902 - 1945) at Trove
- Press timeline: Select chronology of significant Australian press events to 2011
- The birth of the newspaper in Australia
- Isaacs, Victor, Kirkpatrick, Rod and Russell, John (2004). Australian Newspaper History: A Bibliography
- Isaacs, Victor; Kirkpatrick, Rod, Two hundred years of Sydney newspapers: A short history, Rural Press Ltd.