This article does not cite any sources. (March 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Look up hazarika in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Originally the title was conferred by the Ahom kingdom of medieval Assam. The Assamese community has a naming system which is loosely based on their ancestors' profession during Ahom kings' reign. During Ahom reign, Hazarika was commander over 1000 Paiks (Hazar=1000). The surname is common to Hindu and Muslim in Assam. The surname belongs to Bagh Hazarika whose wealthy descendants historically had extensive land holdings in Assam. The surname mostly belongs to the Kalita, Ahom, Sutiya, Sonowal Kacharis and Koch communities.
Hazarika surname is also in the caste called "KOIBOTTA" , koibottas are Schedule Caste people.
Notable Hazarika people
- Jogendra Nath Hazarika, Indian politician, Chief Minister of Assam
- Bhupen Hazarika, Indian playback singer, lyricist, musician, singer, poet and film-maker
- Bagh Hazarika, 17th century figure from Assam
- Atul Chandra Hazarika (1903–1986), Assamese litterateur from Assam. ...
- Mrinal Hazarika
- Balaram Hazarika, Assamese animal tracker
- Pritam Hazarika (born 1969), Indian cricketer
- Debananda Hazarika, Indian politician
- Dhruba Hazarika (born 1956), Indian novelist
- Diganta Hazarika,actor
- "Language in India". languageinindia.com. Retrieved 2014-01-26.
- "centurion meaning - definition of centurion by Mnemonic Dictionary". mnemonicdictionary.com. Retrieved 2014-01-26.
|surname Hazarika. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.This page lists people with the|
|This name-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|