|National origin||United States|
Design and development
The Marathon was designed to comply with the US FAR 103 Ultralight Vehicles two-seat trainer rules and today is marketed as a light-sport aircraft. The aircraft takes its name from its design goal of an aircraft with long range and endurance and features a range of 115 mi (185 km). It features a parachute-style high-wing, two-seats-in-tandem accommodation, tricycle landing gear and originally a single 50 hp (37 kW) Rotax 503 engine in pusher configuration. The 64 hp (48 kW) Rotax 582 was the standard engine used on later models.
The aircraft is built from a combination of bolted dural aluminium and stainless steel tubing. It features a double ring propeller guard that has been roll-over tested. The 10 U.S. gallons (38 L; 8.3 imp gal) fuel tank is made from aluminium. In flight steering is accomplished via foot pedals, or optionally a control stick, that actuate the canopy brakes, creating roll and yaw. On the ground the aircraft has lever-controlled nosewheel steering. The main landing gear incorporates gas strut suspension. The aircraft is factory supplied in the form of an assembly kit that requires 30–50 hours to complete.
Specifications (Blue Heron Marathon)
Data from Manufacturer
- Crew: one
- Capacity: one passenger
- Length: 9 ft 8 in (2.95 m)
- Wingspan: 39 ft 6 in (12.04 m)
- Height: 6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)
- Wing area: 500 sq ft (46 m2)
- Empty weight: 308 lb (140 kg)
- Gross weight: 850 lb (386 kg)
- Fuel capacity: 10 U.S. gallons (38 L; 8.3 imp gal)
- Powerplant: 1 × Rotax 582 twin cylinder, two-stroke, liquid-cooled aircraft engine, 64 hp (48 kW)
- Cruise speed: 32 mph (51 km/h; 28 kn)
- Range: 115 mi (100 nmi; 185 km)
- Rate of climb: 900 ft/min (4.6 m/s)
- Wing loading: 1.7 lb/sq ft (8.3 kg/m2)
- Cliche, Andre: Ultralight Aircraft Shopper's Guide 8th Edition, page D-8. Cybair Limited Publishing, 2001. ISBN 0-9680628-1-4
- Downey, Julia: 2005 Trikes 'Chutes and Rotorcraft Directory, Kitplanes, Volume 22, Number 2, February 2005, page 50. Belvoir Publications. ISSN 0891-1851
- Bertrand, Noel; Rene Coulon; et al: World Directory of Leisure Aviation 2003-04, page 80. Pagefast Ltd, Lancaster UK, 2003. ISSN 1368-485X
- Heldeberg Designs. "Blue Heron Marathon". Archived from the original on 29 February 2012. Retrieved 14 March 2012.