Life and work
As the daughter of an industrialist family, Funke studied painting against the will of the family from 1899 at the Munich Ladies' Academy. From 1905 and until 1913, she lived in France and then moved to Vienna until her death.
In 1918 she became a member of the artist group "movement" or "free movement" (from 1919). In addition, she was a member of the group of Viennese women's art. In 1928 she received the Austrian State Prize for the picture Tobias and the Angel . "Their pictures often show women's groups or women's couples and represent a differentiated examination of the topic of femininity." (Geheimsache Leben, 2005)
From 1904 to 1938, she has exhibited in Munich, Berlin, Dresden, Leipzig ( BUGRA 1914) and Hamburg; she was also a member of the Deutscher Künstlerbund. In France, they had close contact with the Fauves. In Vienna, she was exhibited in the Vienna Secession, in the Société des artistes Indépendants in Paris, and at the Vienna Art Show. She was rediscovered during the last years before her death.
Funke was then rediscovered in 1998 with a first retrospective at Kunsthandel Hieke and then in 2007, during an extensive retrospective in Lentos, Linz. In 2018, she was exhibited in her birthplace, Chemnitz, Germany.
- "Aus dem Begleitheft zur Ausstellung Paula Deppe des Passauer Oberhausmuseums, 2011". Archived from the original on 2016-05-02. Retrieved 2019-03-07.
- "Hamburger Kunstverein: Ausstellungsbeteiligungen von Helene Funke 1906 und 1907" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2014-10-29. Retrieved 2019-03-07.
- "kuenstlerbund.de: Ordentliche Mitglieder des Deutschen Künstlerbundes seit der Gründung 1903 / Funke, Helene". Archived from the original on 2016-03-04.
- "dorotheum.com: Helene Funke. Provinienz zu "Am Meer in Frankreich", 1908/1910".
- "Lentos Kunstmuseum Linz - Helene Funke (1869 - 1957)".
- "City of Women". www.belvedere.at. Archived from the original on 2019-04-07. Retrieved 2019-03-07.
- Literature by and about Helene Funke in the German National Library catalogue
- frauenkunst.at - Helene Funke - Biography
- Erste Retrospektive Helene Funkes, 3. Mai – 11. September 2007
- Ich bin ein einsamer Steppenwolf.
- Helene Funke
- Helene Funke : biographie, oeuvres par Widder Fine Arts, Vienne
This article needs additional or more specific categories. (March 2019)