Hendrik van Minderhout
Hendrik van Minderhout (1632 – 22 July 1696) was a Dutch-born artist who was primarily active in the Flemish cities Bruges and Antwerp. He painted marine paintings, harbor scenes, cityscapes, landscapes and architectural paintings. He also collaborated as a staffage painter with Flemish landscape and perspective painters.
Minderhout was born in Rotterdam. He should not to be confused with the Rotterdam landscape painter Minderhout named 'den groenen Ridder'. He arrived in Bruges in 1652. He may have spent time in Italy in 1653. In 1663, he joined Bruges' Guild of Saint Luke. Subsequently, from 1672 until his death in 1696, van Minderhout lived in Antwerp where he became a member of the local Guild of Saint Luke. He paid three guilders and painted a large canvas of an oriental port to Antwerp's guild to be exempted from any guild duties including the obligation to serve as the deacon of the Guild.
In 1673, he married his second wife, Anna-Victoria Claus. The couple had five children, of whom two, Antoon (26 Sept 1675 – 22 Dec 1705) and Willem Augustin (28 Aug 1680 – 31 June 1752), became painters.
He died in Antwerp.
Hendrik van Minderhout mainly painted large views of seas and harbours and marine battles. He also created cityscapes, landscapes and architectural paintings. His subjects included realist views such as of the ports of Antwerp and Bruges, as well as imaginary views of Mediterranean and oriental ports. It has been suggested that the wide variety of works bearing the signature Hendrik van Minderhout points to the existence of two artists of the same name who were active at the same time.
Van Minderhout was appreciated as a staffage painter by his Antwerp colleagues. He contributed the figures to works by local landscape and perspective painters including Wilhelm Schubert van Ehrenberg and Jacob Balthasar Peeters.
- Hendrik van Minderhout at the Netherlands Institute for Art History
- Frans Jozef Peter Van den Branden, Geschiedenis der Antwerpsche schilderschool, Antwerpen, 1883, p. 876 (in Dutch)
- Trudy van Zadelhoff. "Minderhout, Hendrik van." Grove Art Online. Oxford Art Online. Oxford University Press. Web. 10 January 2015
- Frans Jozef Peter Van den Branden, Geschiedenis der Antwerpsche schilderschool, Antwerpen, 1883, pp. 986-988 (in Dutch)
- Hans Vlieghe (1998). Flemish Art and Architecture, 1585–1700. Pelican History of Art. New Haven: Yale University Press. ISBN 0-300-07038-1
- Jacob Peeters and Hendrik van Minderhout, Gemäldepaar Fantastische höfische Architektur mit Figurenstaffage at Hampel Auctions (in German)
Media related to Hendrik van Minderhout at Wikimedia Commons