Henrik Otto Donner
Henrik Otto Donner
|Birth name||Henrik Otto Donner|
|Also known as||Otto Donner|
|Born||16 November 1939|
|Died||26 June 2013 (aged 73)|
|Genres||pop, rock, jazz, electronic music, contemporary classical music|
|Occupation(s)||Composer, arranger, musician|
|Associated acts||Otto Donner Treatment, UMO Jazz Orchestra, Akademiska Sångföreningen|
Henrik Otto Donner (16 November 1939 – 26 June 2013) was a Finnish composer, musician and all-round music personality. His musical styles varied from pop and rock music to jazz, electronic music and contemporary classical music. Donner's personal instrument was trumpet. He was a member of the famous Finland Swedish Donner family.
Donner was one of the pioneers of Finnish avant-garde and experimental music as well as an important figure in Finnish left-wing "song movement" of the 1960s and 1970s. He studied at the Sibelius Academy in Helsinki and later in Vienna as a student of György Ligeti. In 1966 Donner was one of the founders of record label Love Records which was a pioneering label in Finnish rock music. Donner collaborated with many Finnish musicians and artists such as Erkki Kurenniemi, Juhani Aaltonen, A. W. Yrjänä, Hasse Walli and Dave Lindholm. He was a film score composer for more than 50 movies and TV-series.
- Hufvudstadsbladet, 12 July 2013, p. 21.
- "Henrik Otto Donner – avantgardea ja iskelmiä" (in Finnish). YLE. 16 November 2009. Retrieved 27 June 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- International Movie Database Retrieved 27 June 2013.
- "Henrik Otto Donner död" (in Swedish). YLE Nyheter. 27 June 2013. Retrieved 27 June 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Henrik Otto Donner at IMDb
- Jazz Finland
- 2014 MWE3.com interview with Jim Pembroke remembering Otto Donner
- CD review from 2000 of Jim Pembroke's 1980 album produced by Otto Donner