Henry Fox, 4th Baron Holland
Selections from the entertaining journal he kept from 1818 to 1830 were published in 1923, edited by Lord Ilchester (The Journal of the Hon. Henry Edward Fox). In it, he records his life in British high society and his travels, his encounters with such notabilities as Talleyrand, Samuel Rodgers, Sydney Smith and Lord Byron (and Byron's mistress, Teresa Guiccioli, with whom Fox had an affair which he recounts in some detail).
He briefly held the seat of Horsham from 1826-27 before joining the Diplomatic Service in 1831, after which he was Secretary to the Legation at Turin from 1832–35, Attaché at St Petersburg, Secretary at the Embassy in Vienna from 1835–38, to the German Confederation in 1838 and to Florence from 1839-46.
Marriage and issue
- Stillborn son (10 October 1838).
- A son (born and died 7 March 1842).
- Stillborn daughter (8 August 1844).
Unable to had surviving offspring, they adopted a daughter, Marie Fox. Her mother's name was given as Frenchwoman Victoire Magny of Soissons, but the identity of her father was unspecified. She was baptised at the Church of St. Augustine as Marie Henriette Adélaïde. When she was three months old, she was found by a physician called Dr. Séguin, who arranged for her to be adopted by Henry Edward Fox, 4th Baron Holland, and his wife, the former Lady Mary Augusta Coventry. Lord and Lady Holland had no biological children of their own, having gone through two stillbirths and one short-lived child. Lady Holland was in her late thirties and Lord Holland insisted on adopting the girl. Her biological paternity remains a mystery; one rumour had it that she was her adoptive father's biological daughter born by his servant.
- "Fox, Hon. Henry Edward". 2004. Retrieved 16 February 2013.
- The peerage and baronetage of the british empire as at present existing arranged and printed..., 1859, p. 307. [retrieved 6 December 2014].
- Ilchester, 6th Earl of (1937). Chronicles of Holland House: 1820–1900. John Murray.
- Bryant, Barbara (2004). G.F. Watts portraits: fame & beauty in Victorian society. National Portrait Gallery. ISBN 185514347X.
- "Fox, Henry Edward". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Oxford University Press.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Henry Fox
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
Sir John Aubrey, Bt
|Member of Parliament for Horsham
1826 – 1827
With: Robert Hurst
Hon. Ralph Abercromby
as Minister Resident
|British Minister to Tuscany
1839 – 1846
Sir George Hamilton
|Peerage of Great Britain|
|Baron Holland (of Holland)
Baron Holland (of Foxley)
1840 – 1859