He was the 2nd but eldest surviving son and heir of Henry Northleigh (1612–1675) of Peamore, Exminster, in Devon by his wife Lettice Yard, a daughter of Edward Yard of Churston Ferrers in Devon. He was educated at King’s College, Cambridge from 1660 and entered the Middle Temple in 1663.
Marriage & progeny
He married Susanna Sparke, daughter of John Sparke, dyer, of Exeter. She was the granddaughter of Stephen Toller, haberdasher of Exeter, who in 1673 purchased "Crediton Parks", the former park of the Bishops of Exeter, from Sir John Chichester of Hall, Bishop's Tawton. Susanna devised Crediton Parks to her daughter Susanna Northleigh, who devised it to her nephew John Tuckfield (c. 1719–1767) of Little Fulford, MP for Exeter, eldest son of her sister Elizabeth Northleigh by her husband Roger Tuckfield of London, Merchant. By his wife he had progeny including:
- Stephen Northleigh (c. 1692–?1731) of Peamore (son), MP for Totnes (1713–1722), which seat he obtained on the interest of his cousins the Yarde family. He married Margaret Davie daughter of Sir William Davie, 4th Baronet (1662–1707), of Creedy House in the parish of Sandford, Devon. He died without male progeny, leaving his daughter Mary Northleigh (d. 1773) as heiress, who in 1739 married John Hippisley Coxe (1715–1769) of Ston Easton, Somerset John Hippisley Coxe built the Palladian mansion Ston Easton Park in Somerset.
He died in 1694, as is recorded on his ledger stone in Alphington church, near Peamore.
- Vivian, Lt.Col. J.L., (Ed.) The Visitations of the County of Devon: Comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564 & 1620, Exeter, 1895, p. 584
- Vivian, Lt.Col. J.L., (Ed.) The Visitations of the County of Devon: Comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564 & 1620, Exeter, 1895, p. 584, pedigree of Northleigh
- Vivian, p. 584; dates per his ledger stone in Alphington Church
- Vivian, p. 373
- "Edward" per Vivian, p. 831, pedigree of Yard of Churston Ferrers; "Henry" per Vivian, p. 584
- "NORTHLEIGH, Henry (1643-94), of Peamore, Exminster, Devon. - History of Parliament Online". Historyofparliamentonline.org. Retrieved 21 March 2019.
- Oliver, George (21 March 2019). "The History of Exeter". R. Cullum. pp. 87–8, footnote. Retrieved 21 March 2019 – via Google Books.
- "NORTHLEIGH, Stephen (c.1692-?1731), of Peamore, Exminster, Devon - History of Parliament Online". Historyofparliamentonline.org. Retrieved 21 March 2019.
- Vivian, 1895, p. 270, pedigree of Davie
- Gray, Todd & Rowe, Margery (Eds.), Travels in Georgian Devon: The Illustrated Journals of The Reverend John Swete, 1789-1800, 4 vols., Tiverton, 1999 , Vol.1, p. 55
- Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry, 15th Edition, ed. Pirie-Gordon, H., London, 1937, p. 1119, pedigree of Hippisley of Ston Easton