Herbert A. Shepard
Herbert Allen Shepard (1930–1985) was an American economist who made a significant contribution to Organization Development He held faculty posts at several universities including M.I.T., where he received his doctorate in Industrial Economics. He founded and directed the first doctoral program in Organization Development at Case Western Reserve; developed a residency in administrative psychiatry at Yale University School of Medicine, and was also President of The Gestalt Institute of Cleveland and The Professional Development Institute.
Herb conducted the first large-scale experiments in Organization Development, while at Esso in the late fifties, and served as principal consultant to TRW Systems in the applications of behavioral science to organizations and teams. He has published widely and was chairman of the Douglas Memorial Award Committee of the Journal of Applied Behavioral Science. His research advanced our understanding of human behavior and social systems from dyads (doctor-patient or consultant-client) to organizations (synergy, alternative dispute resolution, structure, building consensus and caring about the powerless). It opened the way for further developments in the psychology of teams, leadership and interpersonal compatibility; cognitive behavior therapy, social cognitive theory (educational psychology); choice theory; principled negotiation, positive psychology and organization development.
In management consulting, Herb's clients included Bell-Northern Research, Syncrude, Esso, TRW, Connecticut General Life Insurance Company, Union Carbide, USAID and most of the departments of the federal governments of the U.S.A. and Canada.
- Blau, Peter M.; W. Richard Scott (2003). Formal Organizations: A Comparative Approach. Stanford, CA: Stanford Business Books. ISBN 0-8047-4890-X.
- Janning, Frank; Katrin Toens (2007). Die Zukunft der Policy-Forschung. Stanford, CA: VS Verlag fnr Sozialw. ISBN 3-531-15725-6.
- McGregor, Massimo (2008). Knowledge as Social Order. Germany: Ashgate. ISBN 0-7546-4863-X.
- Brazzel, Michael; Brenda B. Jones (2005). The NTL Handbook of Organization Development and Change: Principles, Practices, and Perspectives. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill. ISBN 0-07-146222-8.
- Mazzotti, Douglas (2006). The Human Side of Enterprise. Pfeiffer. ISBN 0-7879-7773-X.
- Martin, Alain Paul (1994). Bringing Time To Life: 120 Practical Tips For Managing Your Time And Enjoying Life. PDI Press. ISBN 0-86502-023-X.
- Ritti, Richard (February 1, 1968). "Work Goals of Scientists and Engineers". Industrial Relations: A Journal of Economy and Society. Blackwell Publishing Ltd. 7 (2): 118–31. doi:10.1111/j.1468-232X.1968.tb01068.x. ISSN 1468-232X. Retrieved May 13, 2014. (Subscription required (. ))
- Schein, Edgar H. (2006). Joan V. Gallos, ed. Organization Development: A Jossey-Bass Reader. New York, NY: Wiley. ISBN 0-7879-8426-4.
- Shepard, Herbert A. (August 1985). "Charting the Future of Your Choice in Essence of a Proactive Life Series" (PDF). Update. The Professional Development Institute: 25. Retrieved August 1, 2017.
- Shepard, Herbert A. (August 1985). "Moving Forward in Your Organization and Community in Essence of a Proactive Life Series" (PDF). Update. The Professional Development Institute: 23. Retrieved August 1, 2017.
- Shepard, Herbert A. (1965). James March, ed. "Changing Interpersonal and Intergroup Relations in Organizations" Handbook of Organizations. Chicago. IL: Rand McNally,.
- A selected list of Herbert Shepard's publications can be found at Herbert Shepard: Publications and Citations
- Adams, John D. (1999). Thinking Today as if Tomorrow Mattered: The Rise of a Sustainable Consciousness. Eartheart Enterprises. ISBN 0-9672859-0-9.
- Beckhard, Richard F.; W. Warner Burke; Louis Carter; Jay Alden Conger; Edward E. Lawler III; John Sullivan (2001). Best Practices in Organization Development and Change: Culture, Leadership, Retention, Performance, Coaching. Pfeiffer. ISBN 0-7879-5666-X.
- Bailyn, Lotte; Joyce K. Fletcher; Bettye H. Pruitt; Rhona Rapoport (2001). Beyond Work-Family Balance: Advancing Gender Equity and Workplace Performance. Jossey-Bass. ISBN 0-7879-5730-5.