Herbert I, Count of Vermandois
|Herbert I, Count of Vermandois|
|Count of Vermandois
Count of Meaux
Count of Soissons
|Count of Soissons|
|Count of Vermandois|
|Count of Meaux|
|Father||Pepin of Vermandois|
Herbert I of Vermandois (c. 848/850 – 907), Count of Vermandois, Count of Meaux, Count of Soissons, and lay abbot of Saint Quentin. He was a Carolingian aristocrat who played a significant role in Francia.
Herbert was the son of Pepin of Vermandois Herbert became count of Soissons before 889 and was probably charged with defending the Oise against Viking intrusions. A contemporary of Baldwin II, Count of Flanders he had the advantage of being a Carolingian, a grandson of Pepin of Italy, a son of Charlemagne. Herbert controlled both St. Quentin and Péronne and his activities in the upper Somme river valley may have caused Baldwin II to have him assassinated in 907.
Herbert arranged a marriage alliance to Robert of Neustria by giving in marriage his daughter Beatrice as Robert's second wife. As a part of this pact Herbert also agreed to his son Herbert II of Vermandois marrying Adela, Robert's daughter by his first wife.
Marriage and issue
He married Bertha de Morvis and their children are:
- Herbert II, Count of Vermandois, succeeded his father.
- Béatrice of Vermandois (c. 880–931), married King Robert I of France.
- An unnamed daughter († aft. 943) who married Eudo, Count in the Wetterau.
- Sprote Adela de Bretagne, (911-1005), mother of Richard I of Normandy<ref4/ref>
- Jean Dunbabin, France in the making, 843-1180 (Oxford; New York: Oxford University Press, 2000), p. 95
- Pierre Riché, The Carolingians; A Family who Forged Europe, trans. Michael Idomir Allen (Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1993), p. 236
- Detlev Schwennicke, Europäische Stammtafeln: Stammtafeln zur Geschichte der Europäischen Staaten, Neue Folge, Band III, Teilband 1 (Marburg, Germany: J. A. Stargardt, 1984), Tafel 49
|Count of Vermandois
|Counts of Meaux
|This biography of a member of a noble house or article about nobility is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
4 Ancestry.com. Web: Netherlands, GenealogieOnline Trees Index, 1000-Current [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2014.