|Full name||Hubert Sydney Turtill|
1 February 1880|
|Died||9 April 1918
|Weight||72 kg (11 st 5 lb)|
"Jum" Hurbert Sydney Turtill was a New Zealand dual-code footballer, playing rugby union and then rugby league for New Zealand. After emigrating to Britain, he served in the British Army during the First World War, and was killed while serving in 1918.
Turtill's father died in London when he was only three years old and his mother decided to move to New Zealand to be with relatives. On the sea voyage in 1884 he gained the nickname Jum, short for Jumbo. Turtill worked in New Zealand as a decorative metal worker.
He started his rugby union career playing for Christchurch Albion before making the Canterbury team in 1902. He represented the South Island in 1903 and 1907. He became an All Black in 1905, playing against Australia.
In 1907 he joined the professional All Blacks – better known as the All Golds – on their tour of Great Britain and Australia, thus joining the code that would evolve into rugby league. He was selected because he was considered well versed in wet weather football, something the side would constantly experience in Great Britain. On the tour he played in six test matches and captained the side in the first test in Australia in 1908. Turtill only scored one try on tour, but it was an important one - in a test match against Great Britain - and helped them win the series.
Once the tour was over he returned to England with his wife, originally intending to play for Salford. However he instead joined St. Helens where he also owned a pub, the "Lord Nelson Hotel" in St Helens.
First World War
- Herbert Turtill rugbyleagueproject.org
- TURTILL, Hubert Sydney 1907 - 08 - Kiwi #21 nzleague.co.nz
- Coffey, John. Canterbury XIII, Christchurch, 1987. p.11
- John Haynes From All Blacks to All Golds: Rugby League's Pioneers, Christchurch, Ryan and Haynes, 1996. ISBN 0-473-03864-1
- Coffey, John. Canterbury XIII, Christchurch, 1987. p.15
- Coffey and Wood The Kiwis: 100 Years of International Rugby League ISBN 1-86971-090-8
- CWGC entry