Hikkim, Himachal Pradesh
Hikkim village and water reservoir used for irrigation
|District||Lahaul and Spiti|
|Elevation||4,400 m (14,400 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
Hikkim is a village in Lahaul and Spiti district in the northern Indian state of Himachal Pradesh at an elevation of 4,400 m (14,400 ft). It is 46 km (29 mi) from Kaza, the nearest town connected by road. It is one of the highest year-round inhabited locations in India, with residences from 4330 to 4400 m. Tangyud Monastery in adjacent Komic village 2 km to the southeast has residences up to 4520 m, and Korzok Monastery in adjacent Korzok village on Tso Moriri has year-round residences up to 4570 m. Most of the population is Buddhist. People use stones and wood extensively to build houses and structures.
Hikkim village is situated at a very high elevation (4,400 m (14,400 ft)) in the Himalayas. The village and the region itself remain cut off from other parts of the Himachal Pradesh state for half the year due to heavy snowfall over the mountain passes. An arduous track connects the village to Spiti Valley's Kaza town, 46 km (29 mi) away, the nearest town with access to asphalted road.
Highest post office in the world
Hikkim village has a post office situated at an elevation of 4,400 m (14,400 ft) and this post office is the highest post office in the world. The post office connects small villages in this isolated region to the rest of the world. It receives and sends postal letters. It also acts as a savings bank where villagers can deposit money in their savings accounts or withdraw money. Intrepid travellers make it this far to Hikkim village to take pride in mailing their letters from the highest post office on Earth. The Postal Index Number or PIN of the village is 172114.
Rinchen Chhering has been the postmaster since its inception in 1983.. The mail is carried on foot to Kaza. The post office is forced to shut during winter months due to heavy snowfall.
Record of highest polling station
Hikkim village was the world's highest polling station. It was recorded in the Limca Book of Records. Later the record was held with Tashigang, a small Himachal Pradesh village in the same district.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hikkim Village.|
- "Monasteries". Lahaul & Spiti district, Himachal pradesh government. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- "The world's highest post office!". Rediff News. India. 20 September 2007.
- "Now that's a political summit: World's highest polling centre 15,500ft up the Himalayas prepares for voting". Daily Mail. U.K. 3 November 2012.
- "Highest polling station". Limca book of records. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- "World's highest polling centre' in India readies for vote". BBC News. India. 2 November 2012.
- "Tashigang: 36 voters at world's highest polling booth". The Economic Times. 5 June 2019. Retrieved 9 June 2019.
- PTI (19 May 2019). "World's highest polling station records 132% voting till 3 pm". Business Line. Retrieved 9 June 2019.
- Elevation of Hikkim - Veloroutes.org
- Himachal - Daily post India
- Grow in letter and spirit(India post) - The Tribune, Chandigarh
- Oldest Voter, Highest Polling Booth in Himachal Pradesh - Press Information Bureau, Indian Government
|This Himachal Pradesh location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|