Hindu Degree College, Moradabad
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (March 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Hindu College, Moradabad is situated in the heart of the city on Station Road. The college, 0.5 km from Moradabad Railway Station and 0.8 km from the bus station, is run by the Hindu Educational Society which comprises philanthropic and enthusiastic citizens of the town.
Hindu College was established in 1911 as a middle school. In 1916 it was upgraded in a high school and in 1937 it was converted into an intermediate college. In 1949 and 1950 it was recognized as Degree and Post Graduate College, respectively. Until 1960 B.Sc., M.Sc. (Maths), Commerce and B.Ed. classes were functioning, after that in 1961 courses of Art Faculty was established at the undergraduate level. In the succeeding years these courses were started at the post graduate level:
- 1963 Chemistry
- 1965 Physics and English
- 1966 Zoology
- 1969 Hindi and Economics
- 1971 Sociology
- 1972 Geography and Botany
- 1977 Education (M.Ed.) and Political Science
- 1983 Psychology
- 1984 Sanskrit
- 2006 Urdu and Defense studies
Courses in the Arts and Sciences are offered by the college in accordance with the syllabus and prescriptions of the Mahatma Jyotoba Phule Rohilkhand University. Every student is required to work towards a degree with a specific choice of subjects. The duration of M.A./M.Sc. programmes (post graduate) is two years; that of B.A., B.Sc. and B.Com. is three years.
- Department of Commerce
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Physics
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Zoology: Dr. Avinash Chandra, head of the department; Dr. J. K. Pathak; Dr. R.C. Gupta, associate professor; Dr. V.K. Tyagi, associate professor; Dr. Sudha Garg, assistant professor; Dr. Deepa Sethi Singh, assistant professor; Dr. J.K. Pathak, associate professor; Dr. Shalini Roy, associate professor; Dr. Divya Singh, assistant professor
- Department of Botany
- Department of Statistics
- Department of Economics
- Department of Political Science
- Department of Sociology
- Department of Psychology
- Department of History
- Department of Geography
- B.Com of Commerce
- Department of Defense Studies
- Department of Education
- Department of Hindi
- Department of English
- Department of Sanskrit
- Department of Urdu
- Department of Physical Education
Almost all the faculty members hold PhDs. For smooth running of education programmes the college has upgraded library and developed infrastructure.
More than 30 seminars, conferences have been organized by departments of the college. Many research papers have been published by teachers in national and international journals.
Faculty members have received many minor and major research projects from funding agencies viz., UGC, CSIR, DST, etc.
Alumni are presently occupying high positions in India and abroad.
The Hindu College stands for distinction and excellence among all the colleges affiliated to Mahatama Jyotiba Phule Rohilkhand University, Bareilly. It has given good examination result every year with a pass percentage of above 80% out of which 45% were placed in first division, 50% in second division and 5% got third division.
The college library is very rich and contains more than one lakh books regarding the following:
- Social Sciences: History, Political Science, Economics, Commerce and Sociology, Psychology, Geography, Defense Studies
- Sciences: Physics, Chemistry, Botany, Zoology, Mathematics
- Humanities: Hindi, English, Sanskrit and Urdu
In addition to those subjects, the library has a special collection of books on Art, Literature, General Knowledge and Sports. Besides books, the library regularly subscribes to a large number of daily newspapers, a wide variety of popular magazines and research journals.