Holly Bourne, Waterstones, Piccadilly, London, December 2018
|Genre||Young adult fiction|
Holly Bourne is a British author of young adult fiction. She is the author of best-selling novel Am I Normal Yet? and several other critically acclaimed books. She also writes online on feminist issues and writes for The Mix, a charity-run advice website for under-25s.
Bourne's young adult novels deal with teenage romance, mental health and self-doubt. Her young adult novel Am I Normal Yet? was praised for its realistic and sensitive portrayal of obsessive-compulsive disorder. It was one of the 2016 World Book Night titles, a UK-wide book giveaway to promote reading for pleasure. Bourne won Lancashire Book of the Year Award 2016 for the novel, an award where young people select the shortlist and overall winner.
The screen rights to Bourne's debut adult novel How Do You Like Me Now?, due to be released in 2018, were optioned by production company Ecosse Films in 2017. Her 2018 young adult novel Are We All Lemmings and Snowflakes? has been optioned for television by Duck Soup Films.
She appeared at the Edinburgh International Book Festival in 2018, alongside author Cat Clarke, discussing her book Are We All Lemmings and Snowflakes?, mental health, and resolve. The event was chaired by author Alex Nye.
Bourne is represented by The Madeleine Milburn Literary, TV & Film Agency.
Bourne was shortlisted for the 2018 YA Book Prize from The Bookseller and We Love This Book, rewarding the best fiction for teenagers and young adults from authors in the UK and Ireland, for her 2017 novel It Only Happens in the Movies.
Bourne is a former news journalist, and was nominated for Best Print Journalist of the Year in 2010 while working as a news reporter at the Surrey Mirror. She graduated from the University of Sheffield with a first-class degree in Journalism.
- Soulmates (2013)
- The Manifesto on How to be Interesting (2014)
- It Only Happens in the Movies (2017)
- How Do You Like Me Now? (2018)
- Floored, novel by Eleanor Wood, Holly Bourne, Lisa Williamson, Melinda Salisbury, Non Pratt, Sara Barnard, and Tanya Byrne (2018)
- Are We All Lemmings and Snowflakes? (2018)
The Spinster Club series
- Am I Normal Yet? (2015)
- How Hard Can Love Be? (2016)
- What's a Girl Gotta Do? (2016)
- ...And a Happy New Year? (2016)
- "Seven Questions for Author Holly Bourne". BOOK RIOT. 2017-01-14. Retrieved 2018-05-08.
- Sheffield, University of. "Holly Bourne: journalist, novelist, Sheffield graduate - Latest news - Journalism Studies - The University of Sheffield". www.sheffield.ac.uk. Retrieved 2018-05-15.
- Holden, Lucy (2018-06-19). "'Life isn't how it looks online.' Holly Bourne, the woman on a mission to end social-media envy". The Times. ISSN 0140-0460. Retrieved 2018-07-30.
- confessionsofabooklover (2015-07-25). "Am I Normal Yet? by Holly Bourne – review". the Guardian. Retrieved 2018-05-08.
- Flood, Alison (24 April 2016). "Carol Ann Duffy and Matt Haig line up for UK-wide book giveaway; Organisers of the sixth World Book Night, which hands out books across the country, buoyed by research showing that 80% of past recipients have continued to read more". The Guardian. Retrieved 8 May 2017.
- "Lancashire Book of the Year Award 2016". European Union News. 23 June 2016. Retrieved 8 May 2018.
- "Screen rights for Bourne's debut adult novel snapped up | The Bookseller". www.thebookseller.com. Retrieved 2018-05-08.
- "Third Holly Bourne novel optioned for TV | The Bookseller". www.thebookseller.com. Retrieved 2018-10-18.
- "Shukla and Bourne to judge BBC Young Writers' Award | The Bookseller". www.thebookseller.com. Retrieved 2018-05-08.
- "Young Adult fiction takes over the Edinburgh International Book Festival 2018". Edinburgh Festival. 2018-07-12. Retrieved 2018-09-03.
- "Review: Cat Clarke and Holly Bourne - Finding Resolve, EIBF 2018 | The Fountain". The Fountain. 2018-08-22. Retrieved 2018-09-03.
- "Authors". Madeleine Milburn Literary, TV & Film Agency. Retrieved 15 May 2018.
- "YA Book Prize for teen fiction winner announced". Future News - Media Planner. 3 May 2018. Retrieved 8 May 2018.
- "YA Book Prize 2018 | The Bookseller". www.thebookseller.com. Retrieved 2018-05-17.
- "AUTHORS Holly Bourne". Madeleine Milburn Literary, TV & Film Agency. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- "Holly Bourne". www.edbookfest.co.uk. Retrieved 2018-05-08.
- "About Me". hollybourneauthor.tumblr.com. Retrieved 2018-05-09.