Homestead Book Company
||This article reads like a press release or a news article and/or is entirely based on routine coverage. (April 2015)|
||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guidelines for companies and organizations. (September 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Headquarters||Seattle, Washington, US|
Homestead Book Company was a publisher and wholesale distributor of books, magazines, videos, games, and novelty items. Founded in 1972 and closed in 2017, the organization was located in Seattle, Washington. They specialized in counter-cultural books and currently distribute over 3,000 titles to retailers as well as their own mail-order business.
Homestead Book Company was founded in 1972 by David Tatelman. They began as a distributor of underground comix for Rip Off Press. Tatelman initially delivered comix to various accounts between Olympia and Bellingham in Washington. The company soon began distributing books with their first book being The Complete Guide to Growing Marijuana by David Fleming. Homestead Book Company was also one of the first distributors for High Times Magazine.
During the Teononacatl Mushroom Conference in 1977, Tatelman met with author Bob Harris and they decided to start offering home grown Psilocybe mushroom kits. The kits were introduced with growing methods that were outlined in Harris' book Growing Wild Mushrooms. The first kits were introduced in 1978 and sold through advertisements in High Times Magazine. The kits are still on the market and are now referred to by the name EZ-Gro Mushroom Kits.
Homestead Book Company also published many books over the years, including several associated with the growing and cultivating of Psilocybe Mushrooms.
- Miller, Richard; and Tatelman, David. Magical Mushroom Handbook, 1977. ISBN 978-0930180010
- Stamets, Paul. Psilocybe Mushrooms and Their Allies, 1978. ISBN 978-0930180034
- Jackson, Michael; Cottone, Vince; and Chieger, Bob. Good Beer Guide: Breweries and Pubs of the Pacific Northwest, 1986. ISBN 978-0930180096
- Chieger, Bob. Poor Man's Gourmet Guide to Seattle Restaurants, 1986. ISBN 978-0930180089
- Flenniken, Shary. Seattle Laughs: Comic Stories About Seattle, 1994. ISBN 978-0930180133
- "Homestead Book Company". Homesteadbook.com. 2003-06-09. Archived from the original on 2003-11-25. Retrieved 2012-05-20.
- De, Ferdinand M. (1994-07-03). "Living | Time & Again | Seattle Times Newspaper". Community.seattletimes.nwsource.com. Retrieved 2012-05-20.
- Homestead Book Company official site, accessed 2017-06-13
- Steve Krupp’s Curio Shoppe. "Seattle Simpleton Tabloid No.1 (1975)". Retrieved 17 May 2012.
- The Vaults of Erowid. "Mushroom Pioneers – Bob Harris". Retrieved 17 May 2012.
- High Times. "SSDP Sets The Bar High". Archived from the original on 11 September 2008. Retrieved 28 Feb 2013.
- MushroomJohn.org. "MushroomJohn.org". Retrieved 17 May 2012.
- Hempfest.org. "Seattle Hempfest 2011 Thank-you’s". Archived from the original on 20 August 2009. Retrieved 16 May 2012.