The hooded grebe (Podiceps gallardoi), is a medium-sized grebe found in the southern region of South America. It grows to about 32 cm (13 in) in length, and is black and white in color (body). It is found in isolated lakes in the most remote parts of Patagonia, and spends winters along the coast of the same region. In 2012 IUCN uplisted the species from Endangered to Critically Endangered.
Status and conservation
The hooded grebe is threatened by the climate change and the introduction of trout and salmon on the Strobel plateau. Surveys made in 2006, 2009 and 2010-2011, found some lakes completely dry and with the water levels in 2–3 metres (6 ft 7 in–9 ft 10 in) lower than in previous years. Also, there has been a reduced winter snowfall without a corresponding increase in precipitation at other times.
Laguna Los Escarchados (the site where the species was discovered in 1974) was declared a reserve in 1979, but hold only a marginal population. In 1992, six individuals were recorded within Perito Moreno National Park. The key breeding lakes in the core of its range, lack any kind of legal protection, but the population of the hooded grebe on Meseta de Strobel have some protection from its inaccessibility.
- BirdLife International (2013). "Podiceps gallardoi". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2013.2. International Union for Conservation of Nature. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- "Recently recategorised species". Birdlife International (2012). Retrieved 15 June 2012.
- Konter, A. (2008) Decline in the population of Hooded Grebe Podiceps gallardoi?. Cotinga 135-138.
- Roesler, I. Casañas, H. & Imberti, S. (2011) Final countdown for the Hooded Grebe? Neotropical Birding 9:3-7.
- Imberti, S. Sturzenbaum, S. & McNamara, M. (2004) Actualización de la distribución invernal de macá tobiano Podiceps gallardoi y notas sobre su problemática de conservación. Hornero 19:83-89.
- Fjeldså, J. (1986) Feeding ecology and possible life history tactics of the Hooded Grebe Podiceps gallardoi. Ardea 74:40-58.
- O'Donnell, C. & Fjeldsa, J. (1997) Grebes: a global action plan for their conservation.
- del Hoyo, J. Elliott, A. & Sargatal, J. (1992) Handbook of the Birds of the World. Volume 1: Ostrich to Ducks. Lynx Edicions. ISBN 84-87334-10-5.
- Images and videos at the IBC. The Internet Bird Collection.
|This Podicipediformes-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|