Frances Quinlan performing, 2012
|Origin||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Labels||Saddle Creek, Hot Green, Salinas|
|Associated acts||Algernon Cadwallader|
Hop Along began as an acoustic freak folk solo project known as Hop Along, Queen Ansleis in 2004, during Frances Quinlan's senior year in high school. This led to the release of the album Freshman Year in the summer of 2005.
Quinlan performed an acoustic solo act for several years as she honed her style. "I would envy [full ensembles] because I thought that a band inherently carries more energy than a person does solo. I suppose you could argue that point, but when I was playing by myself it was just out of necessity. I wanted to play and I just couldn’t seem to get a band together. I wanted to write and I didn’t want to wait for anybody."
Three years after her first album, Quinlan's brother Mark joined the project as drummer, followed by bassist Tyler Long in 2009. In light of the new formation, the name was shortened, possibly to better reflect the change from solo project to full band. Hop Along went on to release an EP, Wretches, in 2009, and a full-length LP entitled Get Disowned on May 5, 2012, winning a highly positive critical response from the independent music press.
On January 22, 2018, the title and tracklisting of the band's fourth full-length record was revealed. The first single "How Simple" appeared on streaming sites the next day after a postcard vinyl was sent in the mail. The nine-track Bark Your Head Off, Dog was released on April 6, 2018. In an interview with Exclaim!, Frances Quinlan said, "For [2015's] Painted Shut, it came out the way it did just because time was limited. Coming out of that, we knew that for the next record we would require more time in the studio, so we tacked on a couple extra weeks to add layers and strings and Rhodes and more backing vocals. We worked on these songs knowing that we would have the freedom to do as much as we want."
- Freshman Year (as Hop Along, Queen Ansleis) (2005)
- Get Disowned (2012)
- Painted Shut (2015)
- Bark Your Head Off, Dog (2018)
- Songs of The Sea (as Hop Along, Queen Ansleis) (2004)
- Is Something Wrong? (as Hop Along, Queen Ansleis) (2009)
- Wretches (2009)
- "Cargo". Jackisullivan.com. Retrieved April 6, 2018.
- "A Graceful Scream - Features - Impose Magazine". Imposemagazine.com. June 10, 2015. Retrieved April 6, 2018.
- "Hop Along – Discover music, concerts, stats, & pictures at". Last.fm. 2013-05-17. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- Backstage Broadcast (May 31, 2013). "Hop Along // Interview". YouTube. Retrieved April 6, 2018.
- "Hop Along Queen Ansleis - Freshman Year (album review )". Sputnikmusic. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- McQueen, Greg (December 9, 2015). "An Interview with Hop Along: With Eyes Painted Shut". The Aquarian Weekly. Arts Weekly Inc. Retrieved February 20, 2016.
- "Hop Along, Queen Ansleis – Discover music, concerts, stats, & pictures at". Last.fm. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- "Hop Along". Hopalong.bandcamp.com. 2012-05-05. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- "Hop Along - Get Disowned". Punknews.org. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- "Hop Along - Get Disowned (album review 2)". Sputnikmusic. 2012-05-28. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- "Album Review: Hop Along - Get Disowned". Already Heard. 2013-04-09. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- "Hop Along signs to Saddle Creek Records; new album due in spring 2015 - The Key". Thekey.xpn.org. October 30, 2014. Retrieved April 6, 2018.
- "Hop Along Tease New Album Bark Your Head Off, Dog". Stereogum.com. January 22, 2018. Retrieved April 6, 2018.
- "Daniel Cohen on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved April 6, 2018.