Frances Quinlan performing, 2012
|Genres||Grunge folk, alternative rock, anti-folk, freak folk, acoustic rock, indie rock, folk punk, punk rock, emo|
|Labels||Saddle Creek, Hot Green, Salinas|
|Associated acts||Algernon Cadwallader|
|Past members||Jacki Sulley
Hop Along began as an acoustic freak folk solo project known as Hop Along, Queen Ansleis in 2004, during Frances Quinlan's senior year in high school. This led to the release of the album Freshman Year in the summer of 2005.
Quinlan performed an acoustic solo act for several years as she honed her style. "I would envy [full ensembles] because I thought that a band inherently carries more energy than a person does solo. I suppose you could argue that point, but when I was playing by myself it was just out of necessity. I wanted to play and I just couldn’t seem to get a band together. I wanted to write and I didn’t want to wait for anybody."
Three years after her first album, Quinlan's brother Mark joined the project as drummer, followed by bassist Tyler Long in 2009. In light of the new formation, the name was shortened, possibly to better reflect the change from solo project to full band. Hop Along went on to release an EP, Wretches, in 2009, and a full-length LP entitled Get Disowned on May 5, 2012, winning a highly positive critical response from the independent music press. In October 2014, Hop Along signed to indie rock label Saddle Creek Records, which released the band's third full-length record, Painted Shut, on May 4, 2015 to wider acclaim.
- Songs of The Sea (as Hop Along, Queen Ansleis) (2004)
- Is Something Wrong? (as Hop Along, Queen Ansleis) (2009)
- Wretches (2009)
- "HMNIM PODCAST- episode 1: Catching Up | Hi My Name Is Mark". Retrieved 21 April 2015.
interview starts at 15:00
- "Hop Along – Discover music, concerts, stats, & pictures at". Last.fm. 2013-05-17. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- "Hop Along Queen Ansleis - Freshman Year (album review )". Sputnikmusic. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- McQueen, Greg (December 9, 2015). "An Interview with Hop Along: With Eyes Painted Shut". The Aquarian Weekly. Arts Weekly Inc. Retrieved February 20, 2016.
- "Hop Along, Queen Ansleis – Discover music, concerts, stats, & pictures at". Last.fm. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- "Hop Along". Hopalong.bandcamp.com. 2012-05-05. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- "Hop Along - Get Disowned". Punknews.org. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- "Hop Along - Get Disowned (album review 2)". Sputnikmusic. 2012-05-28. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- "Album Review: Hop Along - Get Disowned". Already Heard. 2013-04-09. Retrieved 2013-05-21.