Hope For The Warriors
|Motto||No sacrifice forgotten, nor need unmet.|
|Purpose||Assistance for US service members and their families that have been affected by injuries or death while serving|
|35 full-time employees|
Hope For The Warriors is a national nonprofit organization in the United States that provides assistance to combat wounded service members, their families, and families of those killed in action. The organization focuses on those involved in Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom and their families. Hope For The Warriors recently received a Four-Star Rating from Charity Navigator and was highlighted by George W. Bush in the Warrior Open.
Hope For The Warriors was co-founded in 2006 by Robin Kelleher and Shannon Maxwell. They decided to found an advocacy group after Maxwell's husband, Tim Maxwell, was wounded in Iraq and suffered a traumatic brain injury (TBI). Hope For The Warriors provides aid to veterans in multiple forms, including building or refurbishing homes and providing professional development. It raises awareness of returning veterans by hosting Run For The Warriors in different areas of the United States, and by hosting athletes in Team Hope For The Warriors, who run or handcycle in the Marine Corps Marathon and the New York City Marathon or compete in triathlons, in order to raise money for the non-profit organization. Hope For The Warriors was a charity partner for both the 2011 Marine Corps Marathon and the 2011 New York City Marathon.
Hope For The Warriors was mentioned on Salon.com in an article called "How to give back this Thanksgiving". The article cites Hope For The Warriors as a worthy military charity to donate to based on its Charity Navigator rating.
Notable Board Members
The Hope For The Warriors website lists all of the nonprofit's board of directors. Some of its most notable board members include Jack Marin, Capt. Dan Moran, General Charles Krulak, General Richard Cody, Charlie Summers, and Gary Sinise.
- Hope For The Warriors, Charity Navigator, retrieved 2011-11-09
- Military Orgs, George W. Bush Presidential Center, retrieved 2011-11-17
- Hope For The Warriors, WTOC 11, retrieved 2011-11-09
- Homes for the wounded, families, Marine Corps Base CAMP LEJEUNE, North Carolina, archived from the original on 2012-03-01, retrieved 2011-11-09
- Harmon Meadow Run For The Warriors, Kintera.org, retrieved 2011-11-09
- ASA and Hope For The Warriors Recognize Wounded Warriors Sacrifices During ANESTHESIOLOGY 2011, NewsWise, retrieved 2011-11-09
- Team Hope For The Warriors, Hope For The Warriors, archived from the original on 2012-04-25, retrieved 2011-11-09
- 2011 Team Hope For The Warriors 2011 ING NYC Marathon, Kintera, retrieved 2011-11-14
- MCM Charity Partners, Marine Corps Marathon, retrieved 2011-11-14
- Silver Charities, The ING New York City Marathon, retrieved 2011-11-14
- How to give back this Thanksgiving, Salon.com, retrieved 2011-11-30
- Board of Directors, Hope For The Warriors, retrieved 2011-11-30
- Face of Defense: Wounded Warrior Helps Fellow Veterans, U.S. Department of Defense, retrieved 2011-11-30