Hospital Nacional in 2011
|Location||Avenida Cuba and 38th Street, Panama City, Panama|
|Founded||9 July 1973|
|Lists||Hospitals in Panama|
Founded as Clinica Nacional (National Clinic), a small 10-bed facility with one OR, one delivery room and a small newborn unit, opened on 9 July 1973, in Justo Arosemena Avenue and 38th Street in Panama City, Panama. The hospital exclusively provided OB/GYN services, thus came quickly to be known as "Clinica de la Mujer" (The Women's Clinic). To sustain its growth to 25 beds, the hospital moved to a larger location in January 1980, just across the street.
Years later, in September 1994 "Centro Médico Nacional" (National Medical Center) opened its doors, a state-of-the-art Medical Office Building, that houses 110 specialists.
By this time the fame and demand on the small clinic made expansion feasible. On 20 August 1998, a brand-new hospital building was inaugurated, located next by, on Avenida Cuba between 38th and 39th Streets in Panama City and thus it is now known as Hospital Nacional.
Hospital Nacional is an 80-bed facility that handles all mayor medical specialties. The Intensive Care Unit has eight adults beds and five pediatric beds. The neonatal area is well equipped, keeping with the initial tradition of this hospital of OB/GYN expertise. The neonatal ICU is finely equipped, and able to care for 5 patients at a time. Experienced registered nurses care for patients in shifts that cover 24 hours. A dedicated team of physicians of all Major medical specialties is available.
- Emergency Room: ATLS and ACLS certified personnel. The ER Medical director has done training in ER Management on Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.
- Operating room: Ready for all mayor surgeries, 24/7
- Blood Bank
- Medical Imaging: Including X-Rays, MRI, Multidetector CT, Ultrasound, Nuclear Medicine (Molecular Imaging), Fluoroscopy, Angiography Lab, Mammography and Bone Densitometry.
- Physical therapy
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy
- Cardiologic testing lab: Including Holter monitor, EKG, Echocardiography and Cardiac Stress Tests, they have a special unit to do Cardiac CTs.
- Delivery Rooms
Hospital Nacional works with all major Panamanian insurance companies, and also has a special International Insurances Department dedicated to handling International Insurance Programs.
- Hospital Nacional's website (Spanish)
- American Hospital Management Company: American Hospital Management Company that works with Hospital Nacional.