How to Stop Worrying and Start Living
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Publisher||Simon and Schuster (1948)|
|Media type||Print (Paperback)|
How to Stop Worrying and Start Living is a self-help book by Dale Carnegie. It was first printed in Great Britain in 1948 by Richard Clay (The Chaucer Press), Ltd., Bungay Suffolk (S.B.N. 437 95083 2). It is currently published as a Mass Market Paperback of 352 pages by Pocket (Revised edition: September 15, 1990), ISBN 0-671-73335-4.
Carnegie says in the preface to How to Stop Worrying and Start Living that he wrote it because he "was one of the unhappiest lads in New York". He said that he made himself sick with worry because he hated his position in life, which he attributes to wanting to figure out how to stop worrying.
The book's goal is to lead the reader to a more enjoyable and fulfilling life, helping them to become more aware of, not only themselves, but others around them. Carnegie tries to address the everyday nuances of living, in order to get the reader to focus on the more important aspects of life. It is now a world-famous, self-help book amongst many people.
- 1 Sections
- 1.1 Fundamental Facts You Should Know About Worry
- 1.2 Basic Techniques In Analyzing Worry
- 1.3 How to Break the Worry Habit Before It Breaks You
- 1.4 Seven Ways to Cultivate A Mental Attitude That Will Bring You Peace and Happiness
- 1.5 The Perfect Way to Conquer Worry
- 1.6 How To Keep From Worrying About Criticism
- 1.7 Six Ways to Prevent Fatigue and Worry and Keep Your Energy and Spirits High
- 1.8 How I Conquered Worry
- 2 External links
The book contains eight sections, as follows:
Fundamental Facts You Should Know About Worry
- Live in "day-tight compartments". Don't stew about the future. Just live each day until bedtime.
- Use the formula of Willis H. Carrier to face Trouble:
- Ask yourself what the worst possible outcome is if you can't solve your problem.
- Mentally prepare to accept the worst if necessary.
- Then calmly improve upon the worst possible outcome.
- Remind yourself of the exorbitant price you can pay for worry in terms of your health.
Basic Techniques In Analyzing Worry
- Get all the facts.
- After weighing all the facts, come to a decision.
- Once a decision is reached, act without anxiety about the outcome.
- Write out and answer the following questions when you are tempted to worry:
- What is the problem?
- What are the causes of the problem?
- What are the possible solutions?
- What is the best solution?
How to Break the Worry Habit Before It Breaks You
- Keep busy
- Don't fuss about trifles
- Use the law of averages to outlaw your worries
- Cooperate with the Inevitable
- Decide just how much anxiety a thing may be worth and refuse to give it more
- Don't worry about the past
Seven Ways to Cultivate A Mental Attitude That Will Bring You Peace and Happiness
- Fill your mind with thoughts of peace, courage, health, and hope
- Never try to get even with your enemies
- Expect ingratitude
- Count your blessings, not your troubles
- Find Yourself and Be Yourself (Remember There Is No One Else on Earth Like You)
- Try to profit from your losses
- Create happiness for others
The Perfect Way to Conquer Worry
- Focus ( live in the present )
How To Keep From Worrying About Criticism
- Remember that unjust criticism is often a disguised compliment
- Do the very best you can
- Analyze your own mistakes and criticize yourself
Six Ways to Prevent Fatigue and Worry and Keep Your Energy and Spirits High
- Rest before you get tired
- Learn to relax at your work
- Protect your health and appearance by relaxing at home
- Four Good Working Habits That Will Help Prevent Fatigue and Worry
- Clear your desk of all the papers except those relating to the immediate problem at hand
- Do things in the order of their importance
- When you face a problem, solve it then and there if you have the facts necessary to make a decision
- Learn to organize, deputize, and supervise
- Put enthusiasm into your work
- Don't worry about insomnia
How I Conquered Worry
- Help your situation by reacting to it.
- Make the best move in any possibility.
- Win from it, don't believe in losing.
- Avoid distraction incomparable.
- Encourage your steps.