Salentin was blacksmith for 14 years. It was until 1850 that he came to the Düsseldorf Academy, where Wilhelm von Schadow, Carl Ferdinand son Adolph Tidemand where his main teachers. He deals with fondness gemütvolle scenes from rural life in the West German country, which by correct drawing and the use of clear colors in liquid treatment excels.
Salentin was representative of the Düsseldorfer School of painters.
From his numerous pictures these are highlighted:
- The blacksmith apprentice,
- The Maifest,
- The blind boy (Museum in Besançon)
- The neighbors (Museum in Douai),
- Golden Wedding (1857),
- The Spring messengers (Museum in Prague),
- The spa (Museum in Cologne, 1866),
- The village church (urban gallery in Düsseldorf)
- Pilgrims in front of the chapel (1870, National Gallery in Berlin),
- The Little Prince on trips (1873),
- Kahn trip to Chapel (1875),
- The small congratulations (1879),
- Shepherd children (1880),
- The stork (1886),
- Abendfrieden im Schwarzwald,
- Coming Home from the Christening (1860),
- The crown prince in the country (1873),
- The foundling (1864, depository of Museum in Cologne)
Salentin was an international known painter. Paintings from him where bought among:
- Queen of Russland - "The Golden Wedding"
- The Empress of Austria (1857),
- The King of Belgium (1862) and
- Emperor Louis Napoleon (1863)
Currently paintings of Salentin are owened by art galleries and collectors all over the world. Most original paintings can be viewed at Homemuseum in Zuelpich(Germany)
Some words from Selention own written biography (German text): „Das glücklichste Künstlerleben, das je einem Menschen beschieden war, habe ich geführt, und sollte ich sterben, und unser Herrgott wollte mich noch einmal auf die Erde schicken, so würde ich ihn auf den Knien bitten, es noch einmal so zu gestalten, wie es gewesen ist“.
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: Copy-pasted and translated from public domain German encyclopedia. (August 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|