Hugo Wilhelm von Ziemssen
He studied medicine at the universities of Greifswald, Berlin, and Würzburg. In 1863 he was called to the University of Erlangen as a professor of pathology and therapy as well as the director of the medical clinic. In 1874 he relocated to Munich as a professor and director of the general hospital.
- Ziemssen's motor points—the places of entrance of motor nerves into muscles: they are points of election in the therapeutical application of electricity to muscles.
- Ziemssen's treatment—treatment of anemia by subcutaneous injections of defibrinated human blood.
- Pharmacopoea Clinici Erlangensis : kurze Anleitung zur Ordination der wichtigsten Arzneimittel ; mit besonderer Rücksicht auf die Armenpraxis ; für klinische Praktikanten und angehende Armenärzte zusammengestellt . Besold, Erlangen 2. Aufl. 1874 Digital edition by the University and State Library Düsseldorf
Among other works he published "Klinische Vorträge" (1887–1900). In collaboration with prominent specialists, he published:
- "Handbuch der speciellen Pathologie und Therapie" (1874-1885, 28 volumes); translated into English and published as: "Cyclopaedia of the practice of medicine" (1874-81, 20 volumes); third German edition (16 volumes, 1886-88).
- "Handbuch der allgemeinen Therapie" (four volumes, 1880–84); translated into English and published as: "Handbook of general therapeutics" (1885–87).
This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Gilman, D. C.; Peck, H. T.; Colby, F. M., eds. (1905). "article name needed". New International Encyclopedia (1st ed.). New York: Dodd, Mead.
- IDREF.fr Extensive bibliography of Ziemssen.