(Human) Wasteland is a map based visualization project created by software engineer Jennifer Wong. The map visualizes reports of human waste reported to the 311 complaint system in San Francisco, California.
Locations were mapped out from 311 reports that covered a seven-year period from 2008 to 2015. The map features a brown-colored "poop" emoji used to identify locations of human waste reports throughout the city. The project reveals concentrated areas within neighborhoods and brings about an awareness of homelessness in the city of San Francisco.
There are thousands of homeless people in San Francisco with limited access to public bathrooms. On the website, Wong urges people to educate themselves about the issue of homelessness and suggests donating to LavaMae, a homeless outreach organization.
- John Metcalfe | Citylab, So You've Decided to Map Sidewalk Poop in San Francisco... https://www.citylab.com/design/2014/11/so-youve-decided-to-map-sidewalk-poop-in-san-franciscso/382975/ , November 20, 2014
- Sam Blum, Human Wasteland Map Plots All of San Francisco's Poop - Thrillist, https://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/human-wasteland-map-plots-all-of-san-franciscos-poop, January 11, 2018
- Andy Cush, The Streets of San Francisco Are Covered in Human Shit, http://justice.gawker.com/the-streets-of-san-francisco-are-covered-in-human-shit-1679930931 , January 16, 2015
- Papenfuss, Mary (December 31, 2014). "Human feces map finds San Francisco's homeless". Reuters.com. Reuters. Retrieved 19 January 2018.
- Allison Arieff | New York Times, Showers on Wheels, https://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/17/opinion/showers-on-wheels.html , January 15, 2015
- BAY AREA NEWS GROUP | The Mercury News, San Francisco poop map: real thing or a rumor? https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/02/28/san-francisco-poop-map-real-thing-or-a-rumor , February 28, 2018