Human and Hope Association
Human and Hope Association was established in March 2011 in Svay Prey Village, Siem Reap, Cambodia. The local community members began teaching English at a fee of 50 cents per student each month in order to cover their costs. Over the next 18 months, the volunteer team recruited students through word of mouth, posting announcements at the local Primary School and gaining the support of the Monks who preached to the community.
From December 2012, Human and Hope Association began initiating new projects that focused on education, vocational training and community support. They began building their own community centre in May 2014, which was officially opened in October 2014 in Sambour Village, Siem Reap.
The mission of Human and Hope Association is 'To empower Cambodians to create sustainable futures for themselves through projects focused on education, community development and vocational training.'
Human and Hope Association provides the following programs to their community:
- English language classes - These classes are taught from textbooks developed by Human and Hope Association.
- Khmer language classes - Khmer is the native language of Cambodia. These classes are in addition to public school classes.
- Preschool - This program is for five-year olds who make the transition to public school once graduating.
- Library - The library is open daily, with children accessing various resources to improve their knowledge.
- Art classes - This class is held every Sunday, and is free for all. In addition to art classes, Human and Hope Association also take part in the Giant Puppet Parade each year.
- Hygiene - Every six months, hygiene workshops are held at Human and Hope Association. The students are supplied with soap provided by Eco-Soap Bank and toothbrushes and toothpaste from private donors.
- Sewing training - This program runs for 10 months at a time. It trains Cambodian women in sewing so they can increase their income.
- Farming training - The farming program runs for four months at a time, teaching Cambodians chemical-free farming techniques.
- Community outreach - This outreach involves the staff at Human and Hope Association offering advice to community members who face various issues.
- Community workshops - Human and Hope Association holds community workshops to address social issues. Topics include Good Touch, Bad Touch, road safety, budgeting and domestic violence.
Human and Hope Association receives their funding from various sources, including:
- Human and Hope Association Incorporated - This Australian-based fundraising board applies for grants, holds crowdfunding campaigns and speaks publicly about the cause. Human and Hope Association Incorporated is registered with the Australian Charities and Not-for-Profit Commission (ACNC).
- Monthly donors
- Grants - Previous grants organisations have included the SEA Fund, Forix Foundation and the Sumar Lakhani Foundation.
- Small businesses - Life Interwoven donates their profits in 2016 and 2017 to the education program. Seyla's Sewing and Tailoring donates $5 from every order to the sewing program. Samaky donates 10% from every consulting fee to the organisation. Alexandria Main donates 20% of proceeds from their beach bags to Human and Hope Association.
- Self-generated income - Human and Hope Association sells vegetables from their farm, charges 50 cents tuition a month from students and has a handicraft business.
- "About Human & Hope - Sally Hetherington". Sally Hetherington. Retrieved 2017-04-10.
- "Building Hope for HHA". Chuffed. Retrieved 2017-04-10.
- "Traveling to Cambodia? Here are 5 ways your trip may be doing more harm than good". Matador Network. Retrieved 2017-04-10.
- The Advertiser - Cessnock. (2017). From Cessnock to Cambodia. [online] Available at: http://www.cessnockadvertiser.com.au/story/3965390/from-cessnock-to-cambodia/?cs=457 [Accessed 2 Apr. 2017].
- "Human and Hope Association". Village Earth. 2014-05-22. Retrieved 2017-04-10.
- Human and Hope Association. (2017). English. [online] Available at: https://www.humanandhopeassociation.org/english/ [Accessed 2 Apr. 2017].
- "Elephants for Education". Sustainably Chic. Retrieved 2017-04-10.
- "Changing lives through preschool education in Cambodia - Sally Hetherington". Sally Hetherington. 2016-11-15. Retrieved 2017-04-10.
- Human and Hope Association. (2017). Library. [online] Available at: https://www.humanandhopeassociation.org/library/ [Accessed 2 Apr. 2017].
- Grantourismo Travels. (2017). The Giant Puppet Project Parade Snakes Through Siem Reap. [online] Available at: http://grantourismotravels.com/2015/02/21/giant-puppet-project/ [Accessed 2 Apr. 2017].
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. (2017). Saving Cambodian lives with slivers of hotel soap. [online] Available at: http://www.post-gazette.com/local/city/2015/04/12/Saving-cambodian-lives-with-slivers-of-hotel-soap/stories/201504050068 [Accessed 2 Apr. 2017].
- "A touch of humanity brings hope". www.bunyippress.com.au. Retrieved 2017-04-10.
- Phare, The Cambodian Circus. (2017). Responsible Purchases at Phare Boutique – Human and Hope Association - Phare, The Cambodian Circus. [online] Available at: https://pharecircus.org/responsible-purchases-at-phare-boutique-human-and-hope-association/ [Accessed 2 Apr. 2017].
- Vukovljak, K. and Grattan, M. (2017). Elephantine effort to help Cambodian kids - Canberra CityNews. [online] Canberra CityNews. Available at: http://citynews.com.au/2016/elephantine-effort-help-cambodian-kids/ [Accessed 2 Apr. 2017].
- robert. "1432 HHA Holistic Development | World Relief Australia". wra.org.au. Retrieved 2017-04-10.
- SE Asia Foundation. (2017). Hope and Human Association - SE Asia Foundation. [online] Available at: http://seafund.org/projects/cambodia/hope-human-association/ [Accessed 2 Apr. 2017].
- Forixfoundation.org. (2017). The Forix Foundation - Our Projects - Human Hope Sewing Program. [online] Available at: http://www.forixfoundation.org/projects-2017/0317HHA.html [Accessed 2 Apr. 2017].
- Sumar-Lakhani Foundation. (2017). Sewing Machines for Cambodia. [online] Available at: http://www.sumarlakhanifoundation.org/our-crew-2-5-1/ [Accessed 2 Apr. 2017].
- Life Interwoven. (2017). Who we help - Life Interwoven. [online] Available at: https://www.lifeinterwoven.org/donation/ [Accessed 2 Apr. 2017].
- Seyla's Sewing and Tailoring. (2017). Charity. [online] Available at: https://seylas.com/charity/ [Accessed 2 Apr. 2017].
- Samaky.com.au. (2017). ABOUT – Samaky. [online] Available at: http://www.samaky.com.au/about/ [Accessed 2 Apr. 2017].
- Alexandria Main. (2017). About. [online] Available at: https://www.alexandriamain.com/pages/about-us [Accessed 7 Apr. 2017].
- Hopehandicrafts.com. (2017). ABOUT – Hope Handicrafts. [online] Available at: https://hopehandicrafts.com/about/ [Accessed 2 Apr. 2017].