Hungry For Music
|Headquarters||Washington, D.C., United States|
|Jeff Campbell (Founder)|
|Products||Compact discs (for financial support)|
Hungry For Music is a charitable nonprofit organization located in Washington, D.C., that works to support music education and cultural enrichment, and acquires and provides musical instruments to underprivileged children around the world. Hungry for Music was founded and is directed by Jeff Campbell, and became a nonprofit 501(c)(3) charity organization in 1994. To date, the nonprofit has distributed thousands of free musical instruments to underprivileged children, groups and schools.
The organization acquires income, in part, through the sale of compact discs the organization produces. Campbell has also had success in acquiring major artists for the compilation compact discs, including licensed songs from performers such as Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, Paul Simon and others. Other sources of income include conducting raffles, membership sales and concerts.
Hungry for music is supported by many notable donors, including Vanguard, Hard Rock Cafe, BMI, Violins Etc., Strathmore, Austin Grill, Tau Beta Sigma Fraternity, Mark's Kitchen, Rockport, and National Chamber Ensemble, among others.
- "Mission and Outreach." Hungryformusic.com. Accessed September 2011.
- Weeks, Linton (June 21, 2010). "Instruments Of Good: The Healing Power Of Music.". NPR. Retrieved September 2011. Check date values in:
- Slattery, Chris. (December 21, 2005.) "Hungry heart: Billy Coulter plays music so others might, too." The Gazette, Post-Newsweek Media, Inc./Gazette.Net. Accessed September 2011.
- "Hungry for Music" (article). The AcoustiCana Journal. May 5, 2011. Accessed September 2011.
- "Smoke Signals: Woodstock, revisited (with 'cue)." The Washington Post. Accessed September 2011.
- Slattery, Chris (December 24, 2008.) "Merry like Maccabees: Chanukah feast at Strathmore." The Gazette, Post-Newsweek Media, Inc./Gazette.Net. Accessed September 2011.
- "Hungry for Music NEA Grant 2011". National Educational Association. 2011. Accessed September 2011.
- "Hungry for Music BMI Music Event.". Broadcast Music, Inc. 2011-02-24. Accessed September 2011.