Huron Heights Secondary School
|Huron Heights Secondary School|
|40 Huron Heights Dr.
Newmarket, Ontario, L3Y 3J9
|School type||High School|
|Motto||Reach for the Heights|
|School board||York Region District School Board|
|Area trustee||Loralea Carruthers
Martin Van Beek
|Enrollment||1513 (October 2013)|
|Last updated: September 2014|
Huron Heights Secondary School is a public high school in the York Region District School Board which opened in 1962. Additions were added in 1965 and 1969. It is located in Newmarket, Ontario, Canada and serves students from the Newmarket and East Gwillimbury area.
The name comes from the First Nation that inhabited the area and the height of land on which the school is located in the northwest part of the town. It also began to share the Newmarket-area enrichment program with Newmarket High School in 2000.
It is also home to the Regional Arts education program for North York Region, called Arts Huron. This rivals Unionville High School, of Markham, which is the regional arts school to south. Arts Huron provides students with a quality education in dance, drama, visual arts, technology, and music. Graduates receive a certificate of specialization in whichever area of the program for which they earned 5 or more credits. Many Arts Huron alumni go on to attend reputable arts programs such as those at Humber College (jazz), University of Toronto (jazz and classical), University of York (jazz), and the University of Western Ontario (music education).
The 2005 student population was approximately 1,850, in grades 9-12. The floor area is approximately 20 900 m².
- Glen Cedar Public School
- Meadowbrook Public School
- Prince Charles Public School
- Mount Albert Public School
- Sharon Public School
- Tyler Stewart of the band Barenaked Ladies attended Huron Heights between 1980 and 1986, and was Head Boy and active in various school bands and the music program.
- Matt Sweeney, and Travis Stokl, founding members of indie pop band, The Elwins
- Curtis Joseph, long-time NHL goalie
- Jeff Beukeboom, former Stanley Cup winning NHL defenseman attended Huron Heights while playing for the Newmarket Flyers of the Ontario Provincial Junior "A" league
- Sam Reid, songwriter producer was the keyboard player for Glass Tiger
- Veronica Brenner, a graduate, won a silver medal in freestyle skiing at the 2002 Winter Olympics.
- Jim Brennan, professional Football (soccer) player, member of the Canadian national team, first player of the Toronto FC franchise, and played in the FA Premier League.
- List of high schools in Ontario
- Arts York
- St. Elizabeth Catholic High School
- Westmount Collegiate Institute
- Unionville High School
- York Region District School Board
- "York Region District School Board - Monthly Enrolment Report" (PDF). York Region District School Board. 12 December 2013. Retrieved 10 September 2014.