Hurry Go Round
|"Hurry Go Round"|
|Single by hide with Spread Beaver|
|from the album Ja, Zoo|
|Released||October 21, 1998|
|hide with Spread Beaver singles chronology|
"Hurry Go Round" is the eleventh single by Japanese musician hide, the fourth to bear the hide with Spread Beaver name, released on October 21, 1998. The song was left incomplete at the time of hide's death on May 2, 1998, being finished by his Spread Beaver band mates and included on the album Ja, Zoo.
On May 2, 2007, the single was re-released with a new cover. On December 8, 2010, it was re-released again as part of the third releases in "The Devolution Project", which was a release of hide's original eleven singles on picture disc vinyl.
"Hurry Go Round" was one of the songs from Ja, Zoo that was unfinished at the time of hide's death. Eric Westfall, one of the album's recording and mixing engineers, revealed that a week or so after hide's death, he and I.N.A had an emotionally difficult time finishing the album as televisions they had on in the studio were still showing footage of and talking about the dead musician. He said that "Hurry Go Round" gave them particular difficulty due to its "heavy" or somber lyrical theme about "the circle of life," with them both crying while working on it individually. He commented that I.N.A only had one or two temporary vocal recordings from hide with which to finish the song.
Westfall claimed that the liner notes crediting Rich Breen for mixing the track are incorrect and that the mix actually used was done by himself. Despite him being told that it would be, it was never corrected in later pressings.
Reception and legacy
Some of the lyrics to the song are engraved on hide's tombstone. "Hurry Go Round" was chosen as the title for a May 26, 2018 documentary film about hide. Its ending theme is a new version of the song titled "Hurry Go Round (hide Vocal Take 2)". This version of the song features only hide's vocals and Pata's acoustic guitar, and is included on the June 6, 2018 tribute album Tribute Impulse.
The 251st chapter of the manga series Rurouni Kenshin, published in September 1999, is titled "Hurry Go Round" after the song. Author Nobuhiro Watsuki was listening to the song a lot while drawing the final arc of the series and felt it fit well with the characters Yukishiro Enishi and Hitokiri Battōsai, and referred to it as the Jinchū arc's theme song.
All songs written and composed by hide.
|1.||"Hurry Go Round"||5:04|
|2.||"Hurry Go Round (Voiceless Version)"||5:01|
- hide – vocals
- I.N.A. – co-producer, programming, recording engineer, additional arrangement
- Joe – drums
- Chirolyn – bass
- Kiyoshi – electric guitar
- Pata – acoustic guitar
- Gotchin – acoustic guitar
- Neko Saito – strings arrangement
- Neko Saito Group – strings
- Rich Breen – mixing engineer (at Ocean Way)
- Eric Westfall – recording engineer
- Hiroshi Nemoto – assistant engineer (Hitokuchizaka-Studio)
- Masami Konagaya – assistant engineer (Hitokuchizaka-Studio)
The song was covered by Scarlett for Crush! 3 - 90's V-Rock Best Hit Cover Love Songs-, which was released on June 27, 2012 and features current visual kei bands covering love songs by visual kei artists of the 90's. It was covered by Cell for the Tribute II -Visual Spirits- tribute album and by Hero for Tribute III -Visual Spirits-, both albums were released on July 3, 2013. Shion recorded a version for Tribute VI -Female Spirits- , released on December 18, 2013.
- "hideの"誕生会"今年も開催決定!!". barks.jp (in Japanese). Retrieved 2011-06-26.
- "hide singles on vinyl". tokyohive.com. Retrieved 2011-06-26.
- "VISUAL JAPAN SUMMIT 2016 Day 2: Part 3". jame-world.com. Retrieved 2016-11-16.
- Niwa, Eric Westfall (2014). X Japan Podcast: Episode 2, Part 1 - Eric Westfall/hide (Podcast). SoundCloud. Event occurs at 51:00. Retrieved 2016-01-15.
- Niwa, Eric Westfall (2016). X Japan Podcast: Episode 20 - Eric Westfall Returns (Podcast). SoundCloud. Event occurs at 21:03. Retrieved 2016-12-29.
- "hideのシングル売り上げランキング" (in Japanese). oricon.co.jp. Retrieved 2012-07-08.
- "What's This Year - Music 1998" (in Japanese). interq.or.jp. Archived from the original on 2012-03-10. Retrieved 2004-07-16.
- "月次認定作品 認定年月：1998年 11月" (in Japanese). RIAJ. Retrieved 2018-02-18.
- "hideのドキュメンタリー「HURRY GO ROUND」にYOSHIKIが出演". Natalie (in Japanese). 2018-04-13. Retrieved 2018-04-13.
- "hide未発表音源が主題歌に、映画「HURRY GO ROUND」に生駒里奈も感激". Natalie (in Japanese). 2018-05-26. Retrieved 2018-06-16.
- "週刊少年ジャンプ 1999/09/06 表示号数39". Media Arts Database (in Japanese). Agency for Cultural Affairs. Retrieved 2017-04-24.
- Watsuki, Nobuhiro (2006). "Free Talk". Rurouni Kenshin. 28. Viz Media. p. 78. ISBN 1-4215-0675-0.
- Ja, Zoo liner notes, 1998-11-21. Retrieved 2013-01-27
- "Crush! 3-90's V-Rock best hit cover LOVE songs-". cdjapan.co.jp. Retrieved 2012-07-07.
- "Two hide Tribute Albums to be Released Simultaneously!". musicjapanplus.jp. Retrieved 2013-05-05.
- "hide Tribute VI -Female SPIRITS-". cdjapan.jp. Retrieved 2013-12-15.
- "Hurry Go Round" (in Japanese). Universal Music Group. Retrieved June 26, 2018.
- Sakamoto, Masako (June 23, 2018). "Film explores lyrics' meaning in last single of guitarist hide". Asahi Shimbun. Retrieved June 26, 2018.
- on YouTube