Hyde Park Winter Wonderland
|Hyde Park Winter Wonderland|
Winter Wonderland logo
|Location(s)||London, United Kingdom|
|Inaugurated||11 December 2007|
Royal Parks of London
Hyde Park Winter Wonderland is a large annual Christmas event held in Hyde Park, London, typically from mid-November to early January each year. It is one of the biggest, and most well-attended such events in the world, featuring several festive markets, over 100 rides and attractions from across Europe, a Giant Wheel, numerous live shows, including a circus, ice show, and live music, as well as numerous bars and restaurants. Since its launch in 2007, Winter Wonderland has attracted 14 million visitors.
- Ice Rink - The UK's largest temporary outdoor ice rink, set around the park's permanent bandstand, often featuring live music.
- Magical Ice Kingdom - an indoor walk-through exhibition of ice sculptures, and interactive exhibits e.g. ice slide.
- Bavarian Village - Large German-themed food and drink village, featuring numerous bars and eateries, and live music.
- Christmas Markets - Numerous markets around the site, selling food, drink, and gifts.
- Zippo's Mega Dome - Circus tent featuring three shows: The Teletubbies Christmas Show (mornings), Zippo's Christmas Circus (afternoons), and Cirque Berserk (evenings).
- The Imperial Ice Stars - A festive ice show, based on fairy tales, performed by 18 World, European and National Championship skaters.
- Dr Archibald - Master of Time - A large dark ride, in which riders wear virtual reality headsets and board a time machine to explore a series of fantasy worlds.
- Wilde Maus XXL (AKA Xmas Maus) - The World's largest portable Wild Mouse roller coaster, and the first portable roller coaster to offer a Virtual Reality option.
- Ice Mountain - A Wild Mouse style roller coaster with spinning cars, enclosed within a specially designed building.
- Hangover - An 85 metre freefall tower ride.
- XXL - A 40 metre tall swing ride with spinning gondola.
2007 - The Royal Parks invites bids to run a Christmas Market, temporary Ice Rink, Giant Wheel, and a small selection of amusement rides inside Hyde Park. The successful bid is for a joint production by AEG Live and PWR Events, the latter of which has organised several outdoor ice rinks, as well as the Hampton Court Palace Festival.
2008-10 - The event grows substantially, introducing the Bavarian Village (a German style food and drink centre), Zippo's Circus, Santa Land (an area with smaller rides for children and families), and the introduction of several larger rides, such as the Power Tower 2 freefall tower.
2012 - Large expansion of the site. Introduction of Wilde Maus XXL roller coaster; Magical Ice Kingdom (a walk-through exhibition of ice sculptures); Bavarian Village expands to include The Great Hall; an Oktoberfest style beer tent with live music.
- "Winter Wonderland: About Us". Retrieved 2016-12-08.
- "Winter Wonderland visitors rise to more than 2.5 million". Retrieved 2016-12-08.
- "London Hyde park hosting annual family-friendly Winter Wonderland". Retrieved 2016-12-08.
- "Hyde Park Winter Wonderland". Archived from the original on 2016-12-20. Retrieved 2016-12-08.
- "Plan Your Day - Opening Times". Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- "Ice Rink". Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- "Magical Ice Kingdom". Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- "Bavarian Village official website". Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- "Carousel Bar official site". Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- "Markets". Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- "Santa Land". Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- "Zippo's Christmas Circus". Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- "Cirque Berserk". Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- "Imperial Ice Stars". Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- "Mellors Group - Giant Wheel". Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- "Wilde Maus XXL official site". Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- "Mellors Group - Ice Mountain". Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- "Mellors Group - Star Flyer". Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- "XXL - Manufacturer's description". Retrieved 8 November 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hyde Park Winter Wonderland.|